Retraining

amm

Hi, 

I'm 31 yr old female, I have cs30, 31 and 32 and a few years felling and woodland management experience, through working in the conservation sector for the past 5 years. 

I'm looking for a bit of a change and have often considered climbing, so my question is would I be at all employable if i went and did cs38 and 39 now- I'd be pretty new at it, and also dont have any formal arboriculture training, so I'm just wondering how likely it is someone would employ me?

44 minutes ago, amm said:

Hi, 

I'm 31 yr old female, I have cs30, 31 and 32 and a few years felling and woodland management experience, through working in the conservation sector for the past 5 years. 

I'm looking for a bit of a change and have often considered climbing, so my question is would I be at all employable if i went and did cs38 and 39 now- I'd be pretty new at it, and also dont have any formal arboriculture training, so I'm just wondering how likely it is someone would employ me?

I don’t think you would struggle at all, most people I meet doing their 38/39 have far less experience than you on the saw and very little knowledge of conservation or in fact Arb. You sound like you would be getting into it with both eyes open, crack on and enjoy it.

I've found the tickets that open doors are cs38 and, often overlooked, B/C1/C + E.  Some employers would give more weighting to the latter and consider putting you through cs38 and 39 on or after probation period.  Experience will determine starting point for wages though there are some sectors that pay a banded wage according to job title irrespective of time served, these are probably going to invest in further development early in your career. It can be a bit of a lottery depending on your location, I commute about 20 miles to my current yard but feel that the benefits are worth it.

Why not give Demelza at Lowe Maintenance, https://lowe-maintenance.co.uk/ 01729 825132, a call and get her views. It would be great to see more females in the profession so I hope you go for it.

As above really. 

If you have experience and knowledge of felling then that's a great start. You'll have tree knowledge beyond what most start out climbing with and probably better than some who've been doing it for years. 

I always say the same to people considering a career in Arb, but don't neglect the knowledge. Learning how to climb is great, but knowing what you're doing to trees is just as, if not more important. 

Go for it. 

5 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Which end of East Anglia? Quite a few on this forum spread from Norfolk across to the west (where I am), may be worth asking and get some days experience before spending out on the course.

Hello, yes that would be great. I'm in Norwich but can travel... I have done a little bit of very basic climbing before (just up the tree then down again) and really loved it!