Leylandii trimming issues

PatrickFirwood

Hi all, 

Looking for a bit of advice from someone a bit more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. The weekend before last we reduced a row of leylandii that hadn't been trimmed for about 4 years, we reduced the top back to where it had been done before (by approximately 5ft) and then trimmed the sides with a hedge trimmer. The customers were very happy with the results and the fact we hadn't reduced it too hard or butchered it. 

Fast forward to now (8 days later) we received a call to say a lot of brown patches had developed, so we went out to have a look, take some photos and try figure out what had caused them. We've been scratching our heads trying to work out what could have caused this and the only thing we have come up with so far is the very hot, dry and sunny weather we had the week following us reducing it, and we thing it could have been sun scorched? I'll attach some photos below (the first two being just after we had finished and the last 3 a week later), we would really appreciate some advice if anyone has any... 

1.jpg

20200629_173603.jpg

20200629_173808.jpg

20200629_173812.jpg

2.jpg

I think you answered your own question in your first post:  hot... dry...  assuming you're in the south of the country that is.  I believe it's been somewhat less dry oop north.

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1

I did some similar the other day. They had been neglected for so long and there was so much dead material in them, it was nigh on impossible to get a good finish. Went back the next day as the customer wanted to look at cutting them further back, and they agreed to have them removed...
best thing for them once they have gone past a certain point.

• Like 3