Subcontractor work

Jack.P

1 minute ago, Conor Wright said:

...or until the paint dries.

I shouldn't mock, we all have to start somewhere. 

An actual arb company would probably be a good starting point though.

Yeah, starting with knowing what your doing, knowing that nicking clients when your a subby is wrong, knowing that working for someone the OP describes isn’t a great idea.

Tickets and experience with a professional outfit might work, might not.

@Jack.P was going to post comforting words on this, but reading thru'  think i need my flaming brands an pitchfork  (  but can't really be arsed) guy don't sound great to work for -  but be ready to stand on yr own two feet now.  K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Yeah, starting with knowing what your doing

Natural aptitude. No ticket can get you that. Possibly the most important factor of all. 

From what I've read here I wouldnt be offering a position to the op, it's taken me too long and too much hard graft building up a reliable client base to risk employing a poacher, I imagine most small companies would be the same.

• Like 1

All good points made here and do have enough of my own clients .just for the record though I am good all rounder and decorate to high standards but with trees not having climbing tickets but only units 31 doing the pine job wasn’t very clever 

Not sure which is worse though watching above douche bag with a chainsaw or angle grinder ha .

4 hours ago, jfc said:

You have messed up there, if you're subbing you don't steal the client. Especially if you're still working for the guy. Bad form mate!

Bang on the money, don't bite the hand that feeds you if you want them to keep giving you work. I got asked by a manager of a big mobile home/Caravan site company to swing in there behind the company I sub into, her thinking, "They get you to do the work anyway", my thinking, " yes, and they pay me on time, and are my bread n butter".

• Like 11

Of course the customer wanted to deal directly with you, you undercut him! 

poaching customers Isn’t on. When working as a subby you direct all enquireys to your “boss”. You’re only there because of them anyway, employment status is irrelevant. 

• Like 9

Been sat back reading all the comments on this thread since post came on yesterday, sounds like Jack p is a little bit lacking in expieriance in life and buisenes sense as well, if any one did this with me i would be doing what a lot of others have said above, no more work off me and yes other firms in the area would get to know what he is like as well, when i take some one on on a subbie bassis they are told before they come to site No sign written trucks or vans and no clothing addvertising there buisness, if they do roll up in any of the above they get told either to remove it or go home, Reason for this is going back to early 2000s when a subbie was trying to get a customer of mine to have all the stumps removed on a small woodland we had cleared, customer was not happy about this and nor was i, so the subbie in question was asked to leave site by me but at the customers request, this nearly cost me the job and the next 2 jobs i did for the guy, so a lesson lern,t from both sides, the subbie in question never worked for me again and i think he lasted about 18 monthes after that as no one would employ him, he is now a delivey driver for a builders merchants, This Jack p sounds like he is a decorater by trade may be he should stick to hanging wallpaper and painting skirtings, and to say i work to a high standared on the trees and only having cs31 ie well ? i will believe it when i see it, as who has told him its high standared ? and as for the guy making £150 out of him that is nothing what so ever to do with anyone but the main contractor and the client, its called buissnes !!!, what a prick this guy sounds and he feels he is hard done to, good luck mate as your going to need it in this game and if you did,nt know its a tight knit game the tree world !!!,

• Like 7

I am not going to comment on the rights or wrongs of what the op has done, ..however, i do think a lot of people put a lot of false emphasis on tickets. 

Having a ticket does not guarantee someone will turn out quality work, i have seen plenty that are far more "qualified" than me, but i wouldnt pay them with washers. 

Tickets may tick the boxes in some respect, but  if they are an indicator of quality of work then the system is failing badly somewhere.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jack.P said:

decorate to high standards but with trees not having climbing tickets but only units 31 doing the pine job wasn’t very clever 

Not sure which is worse though watching above douche bag with a chainsaw or angle grinder ha .

WTF,  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1