Subcontractor work

Jack.P

Just wanted thoughts about this please .

have been doing various jobs for a local company on a subcontractor basis providing all my own gear etc.

Firstly a regular client I had worked for a few times requested I deal with him directly and wanted my contact number so agreed to offering my services .then when I was on the job the other bloke spotted me there and threw his toys out the pram then insisted on invoicing client himself and payed me standard day rates but made 150 quid markup which was a cheek for doing absolutely nothing 

as I tried to explain though it’s entirely clients decision who they wish to give  the work to and that he had contacted me.

and tonight received text this eve from above douche bag implying my tools not up to the job for upcoming work and do I want to borrow his. find that pretty rude as he knows I’ve plenty of great gear and i was tempted to dump all the work and himself altogether .also had a strange call from his last week saying that he thought there wasn’t enough waste generated  from a job maybe implying I didn’t do enough but job was done to spec.

I don’t particularly need the work but maybe I should just say don’t be a jerk or I’m off?

• Sad 1

Best bet is to walk away. If you feel so disenfranchised with the guy that’s been keeping you in work then you shouldn’t work for him any more.

(If I was him I’d be kicking your arse for dealing with his customer directly by the way, it sounds to me like you are a bit of an untrustworthy dick). 

• Like 22

Only you can call this as i see it.Burn bridges and it may come back bite your on the backside.If you had been doing work for someone for a long time and a guy who helped you out was doing work for the same person without mentioning it to you then how would you feel about it ?? Maybe you will need to work for him again in the future.

• Like 2

Well it’s easy to say that maybe It was unfair in hijacking someone else’s client but wasn’t my intention in potentially being unfair and client had requested to deal with him directly .

unprofessional though for him to then charge the client an extra 150 on top of original quote .bet he looses the customer anyway .

Have decided Getting rid of the guy .dont need to be working with people like this 

• Like 1

I’m amazed he’s been so tolerant tbh.

I’d have been inserting your crap tools where the sun doesn’t shine if you had been undercutting me to win work off my customers (that you only had initial contact with because I’d employed you to do work for them on my behalf). 

If I were you I’d wind my neck in and Foxtrot Oscar...

• Like 20
  • Haha 3

Yer, client jumping is pretty poor, 
90% of my work is subbing and I meet some pretty powerful people on behalf of the people I sub to, they let me do it because I’m trusted and in return I get tons of work spoon fed to me. 
reputation spreads far fast in this industry, we all know who is loose with giving out cards when you ask them to bring a machine to site, 

There are lots of people around here I would never let on to who I would work for and loads of people I trust.

theres not a value you can put on being able to hold your head high and not watch your back 

• Like 15

I do a bit of sub contracting would never try to steal the contractors client.

If you was subbing to me and did it, you wouldn’t have any more work from me.

I’ve been ask before but always pointed them in the contractors direction or got a card out of their truck.

• Like 11

But isn’t it different if Customer wasn’t satisfied on previous time with the price or quality of work (not mine ).he could have easily lost the client all together as he was going to phone another company.

but to imply my tools are crap is some joke .and then says that yes they should be ok for the job .err yeah have tried and tested them on hundreds of jobs ffs

i will do the jobs on Monday for him and nothing more after this

Anyway rant over now lol

• Like 1