conifer for logs?

s.varty

if its dry it will burn ,folk better get use to softwood as hardwood will be in very short supply & expencive & road side let alone @ retail

Agree, in years to come and with the sales of woodburners going threw the roof, good firewood is going to be at a cost, the days of wood heating being the cheap option will be a thing of the past.

Any wood will make fire wood, even willow and pop it just needs 2 years to season and it will burn fast.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once split I've found conifer and poplar to season to 25% in just a few months. I love burning the stuff. There are a lot of misconseptions about what is good or not to burn. I've had a lot of kiln dried off cuts the custumers that have actually agreed to try them can't get enough. Its actually getting people to try the wood that is the hard thing as there are a lot of stupid beliefs amongst customers.

Any wood will make fire wood, even willow and pop it just needs 2 years to season and it will burn fast.

We have sold 35T (50 cube) of poplar this winter. It was felled last march, and reached 20 - 25 % mc by october. Have had mostly repeat customers throughout winter paying £100/cubic metre for it

As has been said many times before all wood has same calorific value per kg so softwood burns hotter and quicker

We've just installed woodburning rayburn at home and their advice is to burn softwood duting day and use hardwood to bank it up over night

Around where I live I would say amongst woodburners probably 80% is Spruce and Pine and runners up are mainly Birch and a few % is others (whatever ppl get for free!

I burns no problem and delivers heat, and yes it spits a bit hence the sparkcatcher nets in front of open stoves...wich are rare here since most of the heat goes up the chimney! Use a closed stove with a glass door!:001_smile:

I get conifer from Mick, I'll agree that it does burn a bit quick but I simply lower the air intake to the stove and it smoulders away lovely.

When I cant hook up with Mick I get hold of some Chestnut, and IMO the conifer is better.

I have no probs burning conifer at all, but then I do get it for a bargain price,

absolutely FA so cant grumble at that!!

I've burnt pallets and decking before, now that does burn fast!!!!!!

if its in a log burner (as opposed to an open fire) shut all the air intakes off.

It's rubbish imo but if that's all you got it's better than nothing. I'd sell it at a severely reduced rate.

Why severely reduced? I sell at 30 quid a Transit load less, lower but not that much lower. Still takes the same fuel, time, etc to prepare and deliver. I burn mainly softwood at home simply because I can get a higher mark up by selling hardwood - the wood itself burns fine.