Heavy plant- ground pressures?

richy_B

7 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Knock yourself out in here!...

Just consider the immense weight of a 12m tower of soil, and how insignificant a little digger on long, wide tracks would be on top of all of that! 

GRADEUP.CO

Get the complete details about the stress distribution topic in soil

Thats ideal - much appreciated.

As has been said, it's highly unlikely but a utility company isn't going to take "I am sure it'll be fine"...

With this I can give them the maths and assess/tick it off the RAMS.

Screenshot_20200628-065154_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

If mine and Thames were asking I’d put a video survey down the pipe before starting work then you can’t be blamed for something that already existed you need to ask yourself why are Thames water making a fuss,cover your arse!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, richy_B said:
20 hours ago, richy_B said:

I was wondering about making some sort of basic bridge. Some trakmats a couple of metres either side of the sewer and maybe some beams or something - so basically at no point are we putting direct downward pressure on it. Hoping this might alleviate clients concerns. 

I was in a meeting with demolition contractors who needed to get some much larger kit across a condemned bridge, with a safe limit of less than a tone or two. Waterways were playing holy hell about it collapsing into the river. I suggested the same as this, big I or H section beans for the span itself, topped with suitable plates, located on the roadway at either side. I.e no pressure on the bridge at. 

The only sticking point I can see would be identifying the locations of the ends of the 'bridge' that satisfy the client. 

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

If you get a machine with a blade on then just walk it over the sewer 

s-l640.jpg

You need to check the the structure before you start work, if any damage is found during the next few years you will be blamed and your insurance will suffer Thanes water employ solicitors just for this scenario and have very deep pockets, check before check after,record your findings it is money well spent. If Thames are bringing this up they either know something or Suspect 12 m is a long way down to do a repair although I’m sure Eggs will be up for it

Edited by dumper
Addition
  • Thanks 1

Good advice to get survey done.

Also if u can mark it on surface u could just stick a couple off bog Matt's down as a temp bridge.

Or if only the digger ( no muck shifting, dumpers etc) hire a digger with bigger pads, seen 9t with 1m big pads travel some very soft ground without making a mess. Ground u can't walk over without sinking.

Just to add im another 1 who thinks there is no real need for anything, ur talking 36ft deep.

Look at agriculture, most field drains will be withing 3ft of top, in many places quite britile/fragile clay tiles.

Say silage time u could have a 7t tractor pulling a 10- 20t trailer, same putting muck out often in winter conditions so soft soil.

Don't get me wrong modern heavy tractors are damaging drains in some areas but the are way heavier and less of a foot print than wot ur talking about and 3ft is not very deep.

Are farmers tracking over the culvert now? 

Carting silage/crops over it or tracking diggers to clean ditches or drain fields, often 13t era.

Really be amazed if u caused a problem 36ft down

10 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Good advice to get survey done.

Also if u can mark it on surface u could just stick a couple off bog Matt's down as a temp bridge.

Or if only the digger ( no muck shifting, dumpers etc) hire a digger with bigger pads, seen 9t with 1m big pads travel some very soft ground without making a mess. Ground u can't walk over without sinking.

Just to add im another 1 who thinks there is no real need for anything, ur talking 36ft deep.

Look at agriculture, most field drains will be withing 3ft of top, in many places quite britile/fragile clay tiles.

Say silage time u could have a 7t tractor pulling a 10- 20t trailer, same putting muck out often in winter conditions so soft soil.

Don't get me wrong modern heavy tractors are damaging drains in some areas but the are way heavier and less of a foot print than wot ur talking about and 3ft is not very deep.

Are farmers tracking over the culvert now? 

Carting silage/crops over it or tracking diggers to clean ditches or drain fields, often 13t era.

Really be amazed if u caused a problem 36ft down

I agree about the survey, the danger is if there is any pre-existing damage that you can end up carrying the can for.

I would split the quote up into two, separate out the work quote from a pc sum for the supplying of ground mats and let the client make the decision. It’s not worth overthinking about at the pricing stage, the work won’t change but they get to tinker with the ground pressure solution and make up their own minds.

Bob

• Like 2