Stihl 039 rebuild coil help

Mattkentdevon

image.thumb.jpg.f6ab6ff2ea206a2f00a5c29067891c72.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5120e3dac89809b55e7f29c23e2c017d.jpgHi guys, just replaced the bearing on a stihl 039. Tried to start it and it backfires, I’ve checked the flywheel is on the spine, but I did forget where this earth cable went so I left it out ? am guessing I’ve been a idiot. Can anyone tell me where it should connect?? Cheers 

3 hours ago, Mattkentdevon said:

image.thumb.jpg.f6ab6ff2ea206a2f00a5c29067891c72.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.5120e3dac89809b55e7f29c23e2c017d.jpgHi guys, just replaced the bearing on a stihl 039. Tried to start it and it backfires, I’ve checked the flywheel is on the spine, but I did forget where this earth cable went so I left it out ? am guessing I’ve been a idiot. Can anyone tell me where it should connect?? Cheers 

Spud ! @spudulike

From memory, I thought al the earth connections join on the top coil connection and this wire goes from the top coil screw and ends up joining the engine just behind the flywheel. I try to avoid these saws, bad experiences on them!!!!

Not sure why you have so many earth connections on yours, one should earth the coil laminations and the other provide an earth to the kill wire....you seem to have two earth connections and a spare one???

• Thanks 1

Ohh the dreaded back fire....I think you need to be more specific, if its back firing then I would say the timing is out.

the wires are only to stop the spark, Ie earth it. So if you were to remove the spade connector and make sure it’s clean around the male part on the coil (no oil sawdust etc) keep the wire out of the way. If it starts and don’t backfire, you know it’s the wiring. , use the choke to stop It if it starts.
if it still backfires it’s coil and or timing

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2020 at 19:16, spudulike said:

From memory, I thought al the earth connections join on the top coil connection and this wire goes from the top coil screw and ends up joining the engine just behind the flywheel. I try to avoid these saws, bad experiences on them!!!!

Not sure why you have so many earth connections on yours, one should earth the coil laminations and the other provide an earth to the kill wire....you seem to have two earth connections and a spare one???

thanks spud  anything else to look out for ? From your bad experiences ?