Isuzu grafter 1.9 or 3.0

Fgm513785

Hi there am looking at buying a new isuzu grafter 1.9 twin wheel with tipping body just wondering if anyone has had issues with them as cant find anything on google.

I don't do much towing but would like to know if its man enough to tow a fully loaded trailer.( its tow rating is 3.5t and gross if 7t)

Also is the 3.0 extra power needed i do gardening and landscaping in summer and tree work in the winter generally. I am a bit unsure as 1.9 doesnt seem enough but 3.0 seems possibly over kill for my use any thoughts would be appreciated cheers

Edited by Fgm513785
Miss a bit

Nominal capacity doesn't really have much bearing upon an engines gross HP these days.

I have no experience of that model but I really can't see that the 1.9l engine would be anything less than super stressed towing 3.5t- it'll probably rely upon twin turbos and all sorts of gadgets to make its 125PS. The 3l makes only 25PS more but has a lot more CC behind it. 150PS is barely enough to tow 3.5t happily plus loaded truck in my experience, and with previous Isizu models the more powerful models command a premium secondhand.

Seems simple until you realise that the larger engine has both ad blue and a DPF, whereas the smaller engine has just 'Lean NOX Trap'. I have no idea what this is, it might stress the engine further to achieve emmisions as per my first paragraph or it may be a a big step forward in simplifying emmisions control.

Not an easy choice!

No replacement for displacement, as they say.

The small amount of towing I do now I do with a V10 TDI Touareg. I generally get 19mpg if towing the trailer empty, or 17mpg if it's loaded to 3.5t gross. Never have to use full throttle on any hill either.

Go for the 3 litre. 7000kg MAM with 150ps sounds painful.

Just buy the right tool for the job you do, Me i would not even consider the 1.9, the 3.0 ltr will be on top of the job easaly, if you got the 1.9 and then found it was not up to it you will be asking yourself why didnt i buy the 3ltr, i have a 3.0 ltr cabstar and tow a 10ft ifor tipper about with it day in day out, when pick up and trailer is fully loaded it does not struggle at all, so to save yourself some dissapointment 3.0ltr all the way,

• Like 1