254xp bar issues

Acerforestry

I do use modern saws for felling but since picking up an old 254 at a sensible price I was pleasantly surprised at how much poke it had, and want to use it daily. I've had to put a replacement K095 mount Oregon bar on it which apparently is approved fit, but despite the pump being cranked up to the max and there clearly being sufficient oil being dispensed its not actually getting enough on the groove. The mount shim I thought could be an issue so removed it to try without, and the same result occurred- five minutes of use and the bar is half dry, chain going solid and locking up. Can anyone remember this being an issue (all those years ago), thanks

Edited by Acerforestry
spelling

These saws had either a permanent oiler - on all the time even if the chain was stationary or one like on most modern saws where they only oil when the chain is spinning. The oiling has been good on all the machines I have tried.

The oiler is adjustable so try it on maximum and if that doesn't work, purge the tank, clean the pickup filter and pump and check the oil pinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adw said:

The 254 bar pad never changed, it is just the same on the 550 and 560 today, it must be a alignment issue with the Oregon bar.

Yes was aware that the bars are interchangeable, a bonus as I have other K095 bars from 550 xp etc. I couldn't see how there could be much difference if they are the same mount but will try an old Sugi on there.

On 23/06/2020 at 13:56, spudulike said:

These saws had either a permanent oiler - on all the time even if the chain was stationary or one like on most modern saws where they only oil when the chain is spinning. The oiling has been good on all the machines I have tried.

The oiler is adjustable so try it on maximum and if that doesn't work, purge the tank, clean the pickup filter and pump and check the oil pinion.

Just an update on that, having had the pump out there is a little wear to the splines on the drive cog, you can also notice that with the chain brake off it'soiling well whilst on tickover but rev it and the flow seemed to falter, Have robbed the splined bit off another 254  and will see what I get over the weekend

Edited by Acerforestry
spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Ah interesting that - I've not done anything yet this weekend but that has happened previously. Why is that specific to a 254, I don't recall it occurring with anything else, odd

It's not, it is specific to motors with clutch shoes held on by a bastard (left hand) thread. Stihl clutches were held on by E clips so not such a problem.

Once a saw has been run and stalled in the cut a bit the chain tightens the clutch onto the crank shaft, which is why it can need a sharp tap to undo it. If it has just been tightened on and not used when the saw slows under overrun and there is no chain drag the inertia of the clutch shoes  makes it want to continue spinning but the motor is much slower so it spins the clutch off.

30 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Ah interesting that - I've not done anything yet this weekend but that has happened previously. Why is that specific to a 254, I don't recall it occurring with anything else, odd

Any thing with a LH spin on clutch , Husqvarna 346 for example . Not a Husqvarna 372 as that is a circlip and washer type .

Edited by Stubby