550XP Flywheel saga

GuyMo

7 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Yup, you can't just slap on a new coil on these AT machines, you need the CST (Common Service Tool) software and interface to link the new carb and coil with your saw!

I presume they are pretty difficult to get hold of too?! 

It will soon be appointed dealers only so they will be your only place to get work like this done which will be an interesting one as all I hear from my customers is they lack knowledge and have a stupidly long turnaround on repairs. Up to the manufacturers to make their rules and if they don't work.......???

The tool can be purchased but is no use to you as you need to access the support site which only a dealer with an account number can do, the carb can be updated off the machine all you need is the ser no., product no. and the part no. on the coil, and of course a friendly dealer you could post it to.

I never understand how you can purchase the test kit and then not get the access to the access code, why just not sell the test kit in the first place - found the same on Stihl and Husqvarna, both the same.

Same happened with car manufacturers with OBD2 ports, they were protective over their diagnostic systems but didn't get away with it as they were told by governments to standardize and make the technology widely available. Means I can find any fault code on my car with a £3 module and a £1 phone app.....ahhhhhhh:thumbup:

Fixing it is always another issue!!!

1 hour ago, adw said:

The tool can be purchased but is no use to you as you need to access the support site which only a dealer with an account number can do, the carb can be updated off the machine all you need is the ser no., product no. and the part no. on the coil, and of course a friendly dealer you could post it to.

I have never tried it but I assume if you replace the coil with an exact coil i.e. the same part number then you shouldnt need to use the CST?