Discovery 4 Inlet Swap?

PeteB

Seems my Disco 4 has the inlet gremlin. Garage used plastic glue to seal the split but the advice was repair could be £400 or so or change it? Lots of bits to get off, three injectors to come out,  change the plastic manifold and replace injectors etc. Anyone done this as a DIY? Sounds feasible to me, best part of a weekend. Anyone got any knowledge of injectors and removal from a Disco?

I have heard of horror stories of them being locked in etc.....

hello mate, these aren't to bad of a job. passenger side is a bit more of a fiddle than the drivers from memory, used to get them done in 3/4 hours. if you can get your hands on an electric ratchet it will save you hours! you can get away with leaving the front timing cover on and just releasing the area of the rocker cover but it is a bit of squeeze.

Injectors don't normally seize up on those so should be okay, will just need a bit of levering. i would get some new injector bolts though as they're stretch bolts so one use only and only tighten up to 8/10NM from memory.

good luck, just remember to check nothing has dropped in the head before fitting new gasket and that the new gasket is sat flat!

Parts ordered! New seals for the injectors but didn't bother with bolts. Will google torque settings before I start. I changed the alternator and that was a right ball ache, even more so as the excited cable was too short and bust!

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

Parts ordered! New seals for the injectors but didn't bother with bolts. Will google torque settings before I start. I changed the alternator and that was a right ball ache, even more so as the excited cable was too short and bust!

The bolts will have stretched . 

Took saturday afternoon and most of Sunday with a few breaks for tea and weather. Awfully fiddly, you just need patience and stamina to keep going! Had a couple of brittle pipes break which I could repair and I had the middle leak off break so I've to replace the whole leak off hose system as you cannot get the individual parts (so I was told). Ordered a Britpart replacement via mail order. 

Interestingly, the three main dealers in this area were either closed, or never answered the phone. Their webpage didn't really mention their parts departments either....