Protecting patios etc

maybelateron

I have a couple of Poplar trunks, approx 24 - 30 inch diameter 2m above ground to dismantle. They are both leaning quite steeply, enough to make staying in place on spikes a bit of a challenge, but not the main problem. They are left over from previous low pollarding - no prizes for guessing why they weren't completely felled. One overhangs a very tidy garden patio, the other a tidy block paving drive. There is nothing above them that cam be used to lower from, and they are not high enough to lower any sections of themselves. Just wonder what other people use to protect the patio etc at ground level, as the only way I can see is to cut small rings off and drop them carefully. In the past we have used dumpy bags packed with brash, and I am toying with the idea of sand bags. Any suggestions?

8 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

I have a couple of Poplar trunks, approx 24 - 30 inch diameter 2m above ground to dismantle. They are both leaning quite steeply, enough to make staying in place on spikes a bit of a challenge, but not the main problem. They are left over from previous low pollarding - no prizes for guessing why they weren't completely felled. One overhangs a very tidy garden patio, the other a tidy block paving drive. There is nothing above them that cam be used to lower from, and they are not high enough to lower any sections of themselves. Just wonder what other people use to protect the patio etc at ground level, as the only way I can see is to cut small rings off and drop them carefully. In the past we have used dumpy bags packed with brash, and I am toying with the idea of sand bags. Any suggestions?

Square bales? 

A fat kid?

Sheep?

All will work in theory.. 

If you can find some fairly loosely baled hay or straw it should do the trick. Sand might not be as shock absorbing as you would imagine. Heavy too..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Tractor tires with other tires inside.

I've got several van tyres. Tried them once and found the timber bounced more than I wanted/expected. Could do this again but I think I would build a raised retainer around the "nest" as we call it that we would drop timber into.

Just now, maybelateron said:

I've got several van tyres. Tried them once and found the timber bounced more than I wanted/expected. Could do this again but I think I would build a raised retainer around the "nest" as we call it that we would drop timber into.

Well tbh I’ve never done it, but it sounds like it’ll work (on someone else’s insurance policy)

• Haha 2

I suppose one other option is to take some empty dumpy bags to the job, then carry tubs of chip out of the chip box from other work on the site and half fill several bags to make a big cushion. Or I could just install a skyhook to lower off. It's the sort of job I've only taken on as it is a regular and decent customer. Other times I might have put a silly high price in to deter further interest, or just say thanks, but don't want the risk of damaging things.

2nd for the conventional straw bales. I've used 2 together in a 2 dumpy bags and ratchet strapped them together to stop them splitting and spilling out. Used chip in a bag too but found it needs to be adjusted after every log and not as confident it absorbs as well as the straw.