Firewood sources

Azz19

I just bought an offset smoker and I'm looking for sources where I can buy hardwood at a fair price. 

Does anyone know where I can buy different varieties of wood such as; Apple, Cherry, pear, basically any fruit or nut woods, or any woods that people recommend for cooking/smoking such as; oak, maple, alder, etc. 

Preferably a source that can deliver to the B30 area. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is not really the correct site for that sort of request,  lads here are looking at far larger quantities but of more common woods.  They are mainly arb guys,  so cut trees for a living.  However most of the timber these days is retained by the home owner for his own use or for sale to his friends,  wood coming back to these guys is usually low grade stuff like poplar and conifer.       Those that sell firewood tend to buy in uncut cord wood ( usually thinnings ) in 24 ton loads then process it into logs for sale to a homeowner maybe 2 years later.

WoodLots do have timber for sale,  but the small volumes you want will be difficult for you.   Andy Harrision who is near Kettering buys standing trees and supplies timber to the wood turning people,  he also has a pretty big firewood buisness.  He might be worth talking to:

WWW.AHARRISONWOODTURNING.CO.UK

All type of wood working.

That's s bit pessimistic.  I get wood from 3 local tree guys (for firewood) and plenty of quality hardwood like oak.  Cherry, plum and Apple too.  They're plenty of tree guys that are kind enough to set a few bits aside do for you, I know one of mine does for wood turners.

8 hours ago, Alycidon said:

However most of the timber these days is retained by the home owner for his own use or for sale to his friends,  wood coming back to these guys is usually low grade stuff like poplar and conifer.       Those that sell firewood tend to buy in uncut cord wood ( usually thinnings ) in 24 ton loads then process it into logs for sale to a homeowner maybe 2 years later.

WoodLots do have timber for sale,  but the small volumes you want will be difficult for you.   Andy Harrision who is near Kettering buys standing trees and supplies timber to the wood turning people,  he also has a pretty big firewood buisness.  He might be worth talking to:

WWW.AHARRISONWOODTURNING.CO.UK

All type of wood working.

Not IME, the 100's of tonnes of hard wood in my yard would suggest your theory is incorrect.

• Like 1

Are you looking for lumps of wood or for wood chip? If it is wood chip then a call around the local tree surgeons should see you get more than enough... but you might need to be prepared to accept a couple of tonnes at a time. Great for the garden to put under the flowers to supress the weed though.. let the neighbours have some too and hardwood lasts there longer than soft wood. Might not be able to specify a type and delivery but if you are able to wait until a suitable local job happens it should be free. 

Curious, I have never smoked food - what is wrong with softwoods? I assume each has its own flavour but why not?