Arbor Aeration in action!

Lee Winger

Thanks Andy, i've got a few more pics to add to the site eventually, and yes mate i've sent out links to a few of my existing clients.

To be honest this service is aimed at more your construction site management, local authorities, arb consultants and the likes of you, the guys on the ground. You guys know when a service such as mine will be benefitual to a clients tree.

I'm not presently trying to sell my services to the domestic market, a bit like too much hard work. Tree healthcare, soil decompaction is something that comes up in conversation between a contractor and a client.

So far 90% of my work has come through recommendations from arb firms. This seems to work out well for all parties, the arb contractor shows the client he or she knows a thing or two about trees and is keeping up to date with modern practices, the client benefits from whatever service we feel his or her tree requires, and I get a living.

On a seperate note regarding working with consultants and contractors, i'm happy to work direct for the client or the consultant/contractor i'm not fussed either way, if I work direct for the client, i'm always more than happy to add a discreet fee for the contractors time discussing tree healthcare with the client and liasing with me.

At present i'm only carrying out contract work for a few local domestic clients and a few long term commercial ones, my intentions are to carry out Tree Healthcare full time, and totaly phase out arb contracting.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was younger, (in the early 1990's), my dad would do this to the apple trees, he said that improved the health of the tree and so the yields. We had very old fashioned varieties and a very low density field plan and yields could be erratic. Once the ground was decompacted the drainage would improve and so the flow of nutrients, also root growth was encouraged. It worked very well and he had much improved fruit yields as a result without any fertilizers being added.

He hired one of these machines from Ernest Doe & Sons. A Robin Dagger. I wish I had one now, but can't seem to find a dealer for them.

Robin-Dagger412.jpg.c4a795adb3689df920286023238924f7.jpg

• 1 month later...

The pace is truly breath-taking Bob, luckily the button on the camera allows rapid shots, it was nearly impossible to keep up with Dan (Lee's assistant) he was a constant blur of activity. Seriously tho', I'd like to wish Lee success in this venture, as we know to invest in equipment is not cheap.

Thanks Andy for the pics, we used a combination of bio-stimulants, amino acids, micro nutrients, and a dash of chelated iron, we injected this cocktail under pressure, the resulting presure from the mix, de-compacted the root zone at the same time.

• 5 months later...

Busy day today, visited one site, 2 beech growing in a very soil compacted environment, the tree reviter wouldn't be man enough for this level of compaction, this is a job for the Air-spade in a few weeks time.

Mid morning I went and applied some bio-stimulant and other ingredients to a rapidly thinning Atlas Ceder.

The Afternoon ,I went to see a very sorry Wellontonia, I fear developer's have ruined this tree [tree on the right in the pic] they changed soil levels, installed a new lawn [rotovaters I fear] saying that the tree on the left looks fine, anyway I added bio-stimulant and mychorizae, as well as decompacted

Re-installing the lawn and changing the grade isn't an option I'm afraid, neither is vertical mulching , mores the pity, I'll be going back in the spring to saturate the root zone with compost tea, brewed in our new compost tea brewing system...

arbor.jpg.0b64641d75b08e9d4d66d510fd5407bc.jpg