Changing from Windows Laptop to a Mac

arboriculturist

We run both Apple and PCs on our network.  TBH - I'm happy with both.  I do think that Windows 10 gets bad press - but with the latest major it's better than Windows 7.  Swapping over to Apple will take a few days to get the 'muscle memory' for doing things slightly differently - but that's about it.  Remember - if you ever wanted to run 'Windows' on a Mac - you can do so through emulation software such as Parallels.  We have Macs running Win 7 and Win 10.

An i9 is definitely overkill for spreadsheets etc.  For a workstation rendering graphics - maybe.  We run huge Excel spreadsheets with pivots, macros and VBA code on PCs with Gen 8 i5s and they snap open.  Spend the money on a better screen [or screens] and external Hard Drives for backup.  Or a comfy office chair if you spend a lot of time sitting at a desk! 

Office for Mac and Office for PC aren't entirely compatible.  For instance, PowerPoint presentations created on a PC can often look different on a Mac.  And I'm pretty sure that Office 365 on Mac isn't updated as often or is as current as the PC version.  It's no big deal - but just take care if you want to transfer things between the two.

There was a very good article in PC Pro magazine [April 2020 Edition 306] that covers the story of moving from PC to Mac.  Outlines most of the issues and offers solutions.  [I may be able to get the article scanned if you can't find it].

I love Apple.  It's intuitive and fun to use.  But iOS is a walled garden.  It's deliberately pretty tamper proof.  So if you are a 'tweaker' or an upgrader - it's limited.  

Most PCs are much more customisable [try adding a Graphics card, a new hard drive or a new CPU to a Mac] but can, occasionally, be hard work.

A MacBook is 'sexy' - but have a look at a Dell XPS or an HP Dragonfly and you might see things differently.  ALWAYS buy quality - but don't confuse that with a rip-roaring spec.

People tend to keep Macs longer [partly, I suspect, because they can cost a lot more to replace that a PC] - but we have laptops of 10+ years still in service.

Both Macs and PCs will do the job.  Depends on what that job is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bunzena said:

There was a very good article in PC Pro magazine [April 2020 Edition 306] that covers the story of moving from PC to Mac.  Outlines most of the issues and offers solutions.  [I may be able to get the article scanned if you can't find it].

As you mentioned - not easy to find.

If you ever get time to locate, scan and post there will be a lot of gratefull people on here for sure ?

2 hours ago, Bunzena said:

We run both Apple and PCs on our network.  TBH - I'm happy with both.  I do think that Windows 10 gets bad press - but with the latest major it's better than Windows 7.  Swapping over to Apple will take a few days to get the 'muscle memory' for doing things slightly differently - but that's about it.  Remember - if you ever wanted to run 'Windows' on a Mac - you can do so through emulation software such as Parallels.  We have Macs running Win 7 and Win 10.

An i9 is definitely overkill for spreadsheets etc.  For a workstation rendering graphics - maybe.  We run huge Excel spreadsheets with pivots, macros and VBA code on PCs with Gen 8 i5s and they snap open.  Spend the money on a better screen [or screens] and external Hard Drives for backup.  Or a comfy office chair if you spend a lot of time sitting at a desk! 

Office for Mac and Office for PC aren't entirely compatible.  For instance, PowerPoint presentations created on a PC can often look different on a Mac.  And I'm pretty sure that Office 365 on Mac isn't updated as often or is as current as the PC version.  It's no big deal - but just take care if you want to transfer things between the two.

I love Apple.  It's intuitive and fun to use.  But iOS is a walled garden.  It's deliberately pretty tamper proof.  So if you are a 'tweaker' or an upgrader - it's limited.  

Most PCs are much more customisable [try adding a Graphics card, a new hard drive or a new CPU to a Mac] but can, occasionally, be hard work.

A MacBook is 'sexy' - but have a look at a Dell XPS or an HP Dragonfly and you might see things differently.  ALWAYS buy quality - but don't confuse that with a rip-roaring spec.

People tend to keep Macs longer [partly, I suspect, because they can cost a lot more to replace that a PC] - but we have laptops of 10+ years still in service.

Both Macs and PCs will do the job.  Depends on what that job is.

I agree for the most part.

An Apple IOS front end is sexy and looks simple.

Open a terminal and get someone clued up on UNIX and they can do a lot more than you would expect.

One last thing I would add is don't be put off by the naysayers, and those continually complaining about MAC's being over priced and essentially 'just a pc'. That may be true to a point, it does share many of the same components, but I can say one thing that is a fact, you rarely see people who have MACs complain about them and move back to a PC

• Like 4