Changing from Windows Laptop to a Mac

arboriculturist

After years of using Windows based Laptops and despite Macs being circa. 3 times the price - I have decided to bit the bullet and change to a Mac.

Going for a 16"   i9  for about 2K.

The main issue I understand I will encounter, is the transition from the Windows platform to the Apple based one.

Everything I do at present is using MS Word and Excel and I use Word for designing adverts etc. and have really got to grips with how versatile it is. Being able to program Autocorrect using acronyms is a godsend. Also the ability to program cells in Excel was a game changer.

I have a feeling this is going to be a major learning curve to attain the level of understanding I have built up over the year using MS and windows.

Has anyone here on here made the change and if so how did you fair?

I know Steve B. is a great fan, but perhaps he started on a Mac.

Any feedback would be great.

Edited by arboriculturist

OpenOffice.org

Download the free, open source version of office for Mac.  Pretty much the same.

Macs are pretty intuitive tbh and once you get used the them going back to a PC is such a fanny on.

How do I open a file?  Simple drag the file icon on to the icon of the program you want to open it with.

How do I delete something?  Drag what you want to delete and put it in the bin icon.

Yes Mac are a lot more expensive but I bought my last one in 2014 And it is still going strong.

I have used macs for about 15 years now...  can even stand looking at a PC anymore.

1 minute ago, Marksquirrell said:

Do you really need a 16” screen and i9 processor for using Word and Excel?

If that’s what you want fair enough but if it was me the basic model would be enough for your needs with more than enough budget to get a large monitor for those large screen requirements....

Good point, just thinking about a future proof device. 

Having spent a lifetime waiting and waiting and waiting for every single laptop I have ever had to do what I want immediately, an i9 processor was the obvious choice.

Mmm maybe a large monitor at a desk, that will display 2 x A4 pages side by side by side would be a good addition, that I could just take the laptop to and connect up as and when required would be great, Still having

the portability of a Laptop.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

After years of using Windows based Laptops and despite Macs being circa. 3 times the price - I have decided to bit the bullet and change to a Mac.

Going for a 16"   i9  for about 2K.

The main issue I understand I will encounter, is the transition from the Windows platform to the Apple based one.

Everything I do at present is using MS Word and Excel and I use Word for designing adverts etc. and have really got to grips with how versatile it is. Being able to program Autocorrect using acronyms is a godsend. Also the ability to program cells in Excel was a game changer.

I have a feeling this is going to be a major learning curve to attain the level of understanding I have built up over the year using MS and windows.

Has anyone here on here made the change and if so how did you fair?

I know Steve B. is a great fan, but perhaps he started on a Mac.

Any feedback would be great.

I spent about 15 years with pc's before moving over to a Mac. Took me all of a day to get used to the Mac, its that intuitive. Like Rich says, picking up a pc these days is a horrible experience. I do have a windows laptop which I use for Picus testing and hate it. Soon as I get back to the office I export the picus file over to my mac to finish off the reports with.

I don't think you have much to be concerned about. like has been said, office 365 is available for Mac, I have a version on the laptop. I don't see any reason why the templates you have won't be able to me moved over.

• Like 1

Well, I certainly did not expect such speedy informative replies from people who clearly are well informed and 100%  know exactly what they are talking about - so thanks for those spot on replies.

Wether going for the top end spec. i9 is perhaps open to discussion.

I do like the idea of having a large desk based monitor in the office to visit, plug in when needed and work.

The laptop pretty much stays with me, so a separate monitor for those tasks needing space and clarity, makes a Laptop so much more versatile.

The boy has got dual full size monitors in his bedroom, but as you can imaging they do not relate to anything approaching work!

I have a 27” iMac at home and for working with multiple windows it’s so valuable having the screen real estate available to have two docs side by side, and the software is as simple as click and hold the green window button and select the second program you want side by side and it snaps to the screen, no sizing just done.

The only upgrade to this is dual monitors but then you need a dock etc also but with a laptop you have 3 screens! Rarely necessary but useful none the less.

Also look at the refurbished ones from Apple direct. Bought 3 laptops, iMac and iPad all refurbished and never had a problem. You just have to wait for the one you want to come up sometimes.

• Like 1