VAT Registered

Conorjm10

How interactions occur on the internet is a fascinating subject, and one we often use to test theories. 

In layman's terms, what I do is part experimental psychology and part marketing consultancy. Basically, my job is to understand how people think, what motivates them, how they make decisions and how we can influence these processes. 

This thread is probably on enough of a tangent, but if anyone is interested in why that customer who seemed really keen never got back to you, how to tell if someone is going to accept your quotation, or even why some forum members are desperate to be seen as the one to call out what they suspect is BS, we should have a thread on the subject. 

I could also explain why scotspine is desperate for us all to wake up and see the massive imaginary conspiracy theory around Covid, but that probably needs its own thread. 
I would enjoy a thread on this subject.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
17 hours ago, Retired Climber said:
How interactions occur on the internet is a fascinating subject, and one we often use to test theories. 

In layman's terms, what I do is part experimental psychology and part marketing consultancy. Basically, my job is to understand how people think, what motivates them, how they make decisions and how we can influence these processes. 

This thread is probably on enough of a tangent, but if anyone is interested in why that customer who seemed really keen never got back to you, how to tell if someone is going to accept your quotation, or even why some forum members are desperate to be seen as the one to call out what they suspect is BS, we should have a thread on the subject. 

I could also explain why scotspine is desperate for us all to wake up and see the massive imaginary conspiracy theory around Covid, but that probably needs its own thread. 

Read more  

I would enjoy a thread on this subject.

It would be a little mean (and pretty unethical) to explain Kev's posting style or comment on Scotspine posts; that part was a little tongue in cheek. 

Could be interesting to discuss why some of the stuff arbs put on their websites actually put off potential clients, why really enthusiastic enquiries usually go dead, and how you can generally use a basic understanding of how people make decisions to your advantage. 

Just to be clear, this isn't some kind of underhanded promotional technique. I'm not promoting any service, and I'd actually go as far as to say that I don't want any Arbtalk members as clients. I'm here as a former Arb who now does something very different for a living. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

It would be a little mean (and pretty unethical) to explain Kev's posting style or comment on Scotspine posts; that part was a little tongue in cheek. 

Could be interesting to discuss why some of the stuff arbs put on their websites actually put off potential clients, why really enthusiastic enquiries usually go dead, and how you can generally use a basic understanding of how people make decisions to your advantage. 

Just to be clear, this isn't some kind of underhanded promotional technique. I'm not promoting any service, and I'd actually go as far as to say that I don't want any Arbtalk members as clients. I'm here as a former Arb who now does something very different for a living. 

Anything on reverse psychology? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Haha, you lot are so cynical. 

I get your point though, you must get your fair share of 'experts' through here. I'll take the hint and get my coat. 

No being serious.

Sometimes I notice that say I’m quoting a job I don’t want to do particularly, like a hedge reduction.

I start out saying I don’t really want to do it, don’t do this stuff anymore, pita etc. They seem disappointed as they want it done. Chit chat a bit about the garden or something.

Then you give it the old ‘well I suppose I could do it, maybe it’s not that bad’ and all of a sudden they’re thinking ‘he may just lower himself to do it! Lucky us’ and the price goes out the window.

Or telling them you’d probably be too pricey, so they think ‘we’ll show this bloke we're not cheapskates, we’ll hire him, that’ll show him!’

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Para 1. Just move on you clown. Unlike many, I don’t have an inherent dislike or ‘issue’ with what you post - on 1 occasion I referenced your BS. Now you appear to have a little hissy-fit, hairy shirt, poor me ‘thing’ going on. Stop being a dick, you wrote crap and I highlighted it - simple as that. 

Para 2. Yes, that would be an interesting thread but with your habit of utter BS - you may call it hyperbole - I rather doubt you’d be a particularly credible contributor. 

Para 3.  Promotional technique? Your stock ain’t exactly peaking at the moment. 

Summary.  I ‘wasn’t’ part of the ‘that blokes a dick’ group prior to, or even as a consequence of your previous nonsense. 

I am now and the way you’ve ‘handled’ a simple criticism of a blatant untruth rather reveals that which lays below. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Para 1. Just move on you clown. Unlike many, I don’t have an inherent dislike or ‘issue’ with what you post - on 1 occasion I referenced your BS. Now you appear to have a little hissy-fit, hairy shirt, poor me ‘thing’ going on. Stop being a dick, you wrote crap and I highlighted it - simple as that. 

Para 2. Yes, that would be an interesting thread but with your habit of utter BS - you may call it hyperbole - I rather doubt you’d be a particularly credible contributor. 

Para 3.  Promotional technique? Your stock ain’t exactly peaking at the moment. 

Summary.  I ‘wasn’t’ part of the ‘that blokes a dick’ group prior to, or even as a consequence of your previous nonsense. 

I am now and the way you’ve ‘handled’ a simple criticism of a blatant untruth rather reveals that which lays below. 

Nothing I have posted is untrue, or an exaggeration. You are going to have to deal with it. 

I have a very different skillset to most on here, so was trying to share my experience and opinion. A lot of people have shown an interest in what I do / know but I can't contribute because I have to spend my time explaining myself to trolls with nothing better to do. You are ruining the forum. If you have any respect for the other members, stop being an idiot and let others who are interested gain something from it. 

You'll notice on this very thread that many of my VAT based posts have been liked by regular members, and one mentioned that he 'hadn't looked at it that way before' in response to one of my posts. I have a different viewpoint to most on here, so had hoped to contribute positively. It's Impossible though with constant trolling and childishness. 

I won't be responding to any more of your posts. 

Not a fan of Psychologists , as the 3 practising clinical ones I know are mad as batshit . However, a Jordan Peterson has written two very good books I have read and is reknown for his analysis and lectures that do seem to be popular .  He tends to sell out his gigs too . K

( but he isnt on Arbtalk sadly    :/  )

• Like 1