VAT Registered

Conorjm10

2 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Short term pragmatism. Longer term, you’re arming an enemy. Most importantly, some people choose to act morally rather than just on the numbers. I imagine all you’re hearing is the siren song of the pauper and loser but there are plenty of people who really are happier having less money than they could have.

Aye, the answer to how much I want to earn is ‘enough’. I’ve earned much more before switching to arb. It was much a lifestyle choice as a business one. Everyone has different motivations in life after all.

Just now, Retired Climber said:

Is he self employed, or working for a firm? 

Partner in a firm. Lots of big ag clients round these parts.

Ultimately, if my firm can pull in what I want it to whilst not being VAT registered then to me it makes sense not to be.

Part of the reason why Maggie Thatcher’s slant on monetarist economics didn’t work as well as she’d hoped is that she miscalculated the level at which people would want to earn more money and be taxed less on versus earning a bit less but spending more time at home or working less. But I digress…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Partner in a firm. Lots of big ag clients round these parts.

Ultimately, if my firm can pull in what I want it to whilst not being VAT registered then to me it makes sense not to be.

Part of the reason why Maggie Thatcher’s slant on monetarist economics didn’t work as well as she’d hoped is that she miscalculated the level at which people would want to earn more money and be taxed less on versus earning a bit less but spending more time at home or working less. But I digress…

Ok, yes you are right, you'd expect a partner in a decent sized firm to be able to offer a better level of advice than the poor bloke who sits at a desk all day doing 'accounts'. 

I'm with you on the digression. My posts may come across as money hungry, but that's because I want to maximise the profit I make from every minute I work. The more I make when working, the more fun things we do when I'm not working. I have a young family, and typically work 2 or 3 hours per day.

Lifestyle comes first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't maximise your income whilst working. Quite the opposite in fact. 

1 minute ago, Retired Climber said:

Ok, yes you are right, you'd expect a partner in a decent sized firm to be able to offer a better level of advice than the poor bloke who sits at a desk all day doing 'accounts'. 

I'm with you on the digression. My posts may come across as money hungry, but that's because I want to maximise the profit I make from every minute I work. The more I make when working, the more fun things we do when I'm not working. I have a young family, and typically work 2 or 3 hours per day.

Lifestyle comes first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't maximise your income whilst working. Quite the opposite in fact. 

Yep fair points. I like to enjoy my work too (hence my lifestyle choice comments above) and I guess some elements of the job carry a benefit to me that isn’t just monetary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Yep fair points. I like to enjoy my work too (hence my lifestyle choice comments above) and I guess some elements of the job carry a benefit to me that isn’t just monetary.

Me too. Working for me now usually consists of sitting in the office I built in the garden for a couple of hours, doing stuff that I enjoy. I'd quite enjoy doing most of it for free, so doing it whilst charging for it is ideal for me. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Short term pragmatism. Longer term, you’re arming an enemy. Most importantly, some people choose to act morally rather than just on the numbers. I imagine all you’re hearing is the siren song of the pauper and loser but there are plenty of people who really are happier having less money than they could have.

I'm not even going to dignify that with a reasoned response. The fact that the world scares you isn't my problem.