Virgin Mediocre?

PeteB

A few years ago Virgin Media decided we were on the cable network. Just us and our neighbour, and another house across the main road were the only ones in the village.

Our village is not within 5 miles of the network, but that didn't stop them mailing and phoning persistently. Trying to convince a girl on the phone her computer screen is wrong just doesn't work, we tried a few times. And please don't ring us any more, there is no point.

Our neighbours in the end agreed to have a system installed, the guys who came round to link up their house must have reported the situation.

They are a bit rubbish, yes.

I signed with BT in the end, I hope they are better than last attempt!

On a similar note, I actually looked at my combined energy bill for the first time in years. The leaflet about changing tariffs and saving money piqued my interest. If I moved, I could save myself £400 on what I'm currently paying! I phoned the E.On call centre and the Asian sounding lady offered me her best deal which would save me £4 per month! She suggested that their online deals where fair better  - that will save £6 per month! It seems that they cannot be that enthusiastic so I'm going to swap. 

will not have cable as I have not seen one that installed the cable to UK speck I have seen the cable laid in the bottom of hedges over the pin curb in paths, a inch deep in flower beds etc.  when they ring up about it they do not seem to have a clue as to what I am saying 

• Thanks 1

Their unofficial policy seems to be put it in quick and easy, minimal depth and just repair it when someone goes through it. I have dug through two which were several feet away from the straight line they should have taken from the pavement point to the house connection. Both only just sub surface and not in green protective tube, and found one with the stump grinder, also way off course from where it should have been run.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rapalaman said:

found one with the stump grinder,

That well known detection device.

One company tried to bill us when we destroyed one. Surprising they backed down when I emailed the installation guidelines and asked for a link to a webpage where they stated that they ignored the existing guidelines regularly when installing. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 14:02, PeteB said:

I am on cable and all VM could bang about was how fast they were,which is fine if you got a house full of gamers, stream films at the same time and all phones connected. But I am not.....

when asked why i was leaving, I did admit that when I attempted to leave last time to drop down in outlay - something that they couldn't/wouldn't help with, I signed over to BT only to be contacted by VM three days later to be offered a spanking deal and that I was furious that they tabled this offer after I had agreed to go. The girl agreed that they get flack for this, I then asked for her to put a note on file that I didn't want any further contact with them on the matter. Guess who phoned with a 'top deal' this morning? It was a short 'call....

There is usually a bit of a trick to getting a good deal to staying with telecoms firms.
You usually first speak to somebody in customer services who doesn't have much authority to offer you a better deal. The trick is to get the CS person to think that you are *seriously* considering leaving, at which point they should transfer you to somebody in "Retention". They are the people who have the authority to offer the better deals.

Believe it or not, I did that and they said that there was no better deal to be had out of them. I asked to be put through to the department that takes the 30 day notice and got told to get my confirmation date from the new supplier first!

I tried (for the first time ever) to get a better tariff from E.On on my energy bill. If I swapped, I could get my bill down by £400+. Their customer services suggested that their online tariff was better than going through the call centre. They could save me £120, but just suggested that I go elsewhere for anything better! I have....