Chipper blade snapped

tonytree

24 minutes ago, tonytree said:

I’m providing tea and biscuits and they are providing the Vaseline apparently

I have a lengthy experience of those sort of dealers they get a lengthy response of my engineering understanding aftrwards.  I know how long it takes to change a bearing. On most things..... K

If the först cereal packet warranty won't cover you because of the copper grease, I very much doubt they'd honour anything else if you went else where for the bearing change 

might be be worth exploring the cost of an engineering report to contest the suggested grease leading to blade faliure excuse, if of course you can be without the machine for a while 

If the först cereal packet warranty won't cover you because of the copper grease, I very much doubt they'd honour anything else if you went else where for the bearing change 

might be be worth exploring the cost of an engineering report to contest the suggested grease leading to blade faliure excuse, if of course you can be without the machine for a while 

I get what your saying but also as you said if they won’t cover it because of something so small like copper grease I haven’t got much hope of a major fail and them not trying to wriggle out of it.

The warranty runs out soon anyway so won’t make much difference
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

That's why I and many others no longer own forsts, it's a bit of a lottery what sort of service you actually get from them, guess it depends how vocal and popular you are on various social media and if your likely to get more machines off them.
I keep warning people who post pictures of feeding with a digger about this invalidate feed system and disks warranty, towing off road can invalidate chassis warranty, washing too often or not often enough - paintwork, feeding excessively long material that can stress the hopper or upper feed motor, invalidate. Green or brown timber with or without leaves, hardwood or softwood chipped to fast or too slowly or in fact used on any day other than under a full planetary alignment.

Can you guess I had problems with them yet [emoji51][emoji28]

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, tonytree said:

Well after a lengthy debate they are not budging.

It won’t be covered under warranty due to the copper grease and he said himself the torque was correct at 310nm. I explained I think it’s ridiculous.

I was told on Friday the bearing could go so best to change it, he was going to get me a quote Monday. Monday no call, Tuesday I called said I’d get a return call nothing. So today I called them and finally get a returned call.

For a company to pride there selfs on dealer support I think is bad. They have had the chipper since the 16 June.

I’m being quoted 1300 odd plus vat for a flywheel bearing which I think is on the expensive side.

Can anyone comment on the price of the bearing as I thought it was a straight forward job

Hang on a minute... 310nm  torque is 228 ft/lb....  wot size are those bolts again ????? That is a huge torque . Cylinder head bolts on most engines are around 60 -80 ft / lb on a 16mm bolt . K

Edited by Khriss
Sat thinkin abt this - I do not know of a part that had a bolt torqued to that degree ?

6 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Hang on a minute... 310nm  torque is 228 ft/lb....  wot size are those bolts again ????? That is a huge torque . Cylinder head bolts on most engines are around 60 -80 ft / lb on a 16mm bolt . K

And with a taper seat it must be like driving a splitting wedge in there.

• Like 2

I remember questioning that as my 25" torque wrench didn't go high enough for it. Our bandit 90xp is if I remember correctly 85ft pounds which is 115nm and that's fairly
F T!
Was chatting to a engineering friend and she reckons that over 250nm you need some form of thread lube to get a truer reading as any imperfections in surface can throw out being accurate and driving something with a tapered head into hardened steel plate like that is asking for problem especially if you add vibration and impact into the mix.

• Like 2