Chipper blade snapped

tonytree

7 hours ago, aspenarb said:

I have had failures in aftermarket blades and sent them back to the seller for analysis, on both occasions they have been lost or misplaced and despite chasing them up never had an explanation or refund. On both occasions the knives exploded through the chute and thank god there were no injuries. For this reason alone I will only by genuine blades, not saying it can’t happen to genuine blades but I have never seen a failure in one.

Bob.

:- )

Edited by Bolt

Do you get your torque wrench calibrated? Do you put it back to zero after use? If you dont it could be miles off as it stretches the spring over time (or so I was told anyway). I bought a new torque wrench after I found this out. 

Yep torque wrench alway set the zero
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 12:06, GA Groundcare said:

Super easy to test your torque wrench. Put it in the vice, add a chosen weight, say 50 lb at 1 foot away from the drive, set it to 50 lbft and if it clicks, jobs a goodun. 

Thanks I’ll have to try that. 

update on the chipper and I’ve never heard of this and was wondering if anyone else has.

Apparently the blade snap was caused by me using copper grease on the bolts as it increases the torque by 40% or something along these lines. 

Unless I’ve understood him wrong I can’t see how copper grease would effect the torque.

now I’ve always been told to use copper grease when changing chipper blades as it stop the bolt from seizing. 

anyway it needs a new flywheel bearing due to the impact. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tonytree said:

update on the chipper and I’ve never heard of this and was wondering if anyone else has.

Apparently the blade snap was caused by me using copper grease on the bolts as it increases the torque by 40% or something along these lines. 

Unless I’ve understood him wrong I can’t see how copper grease would effect the torque.

now I’ve always been told to use copper grease when changing chipper blades as it stop the bolt from seizing. 

It wont increase the torque . The torque is the torque . The bolt may go round a 1/4 turn more coz its lubed but the torque will be what your wrench is set at .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonytree said:

So which dealer told you that?