help with pricing...

HI there! can any one give me a rough idea on what I should be charging for a 2 man team carrying out thinning and clear fell work on a mixed block of mature and semi mature ash, beech and sycamore, with some larch at a later date. based in the southwest.

all timber will be bought out to track side via my own 3t mini digger with log grab and left in wood for a tractor and forwarder to collect, 

I tough ask I know with little info but im just looking for an average ball park figure. 

Many thanks

Hard to say without seeing and knowing the size of the trees and if it needs winching etc but we work off £30-35 a ton for thinning work. Less for clear fell.

Edited by gdh

Hi,

Handcutting in forestry is charged on piece rate per ton. Rates vary depending on area but average 20-25 per ton to roadside whatever is left is landowner profit. If site allows just fell the extract with forwarder/tractor trailer, handling it fewer times as possible. Only use the digger to maybe stack cut lengths into bigger piles aid forwarding. 

Thank you for your honest input guys, average age of the timber is 25-40yrs old max ash and sycamore, beech is mature, 50yrs + 

very much agreed its hard tp price with out seeing it, some bocks will need winching, say 10% of it.

and yes, using the digger will only really be running through aiding the cutter with stacking ready for the tractor to pick.

currently do the tree surgery on the same estate hence given the chance to tender for the forest work.

have a fair bit of past experience hand cutting and caring out smaller scale woodland projects but on an agreed day rate..so this is all new...to an extent!