Stihl ms201t or Husqvarna t540xp ?

Artborist

10 hours ago, Artborist said:

Looking to buy a new Top handled Chainsaw Stihl ms201t or Husqvarna t540xp ?

I have the mark1 540, I love it and it's superb on take downs. Maybe a bit flimsy if you have workers using it although apparently they changed the AV springs for buffers in the newer one so must be better, although I'd heard not quite as much go in as the earlier models like mine. It comes with different size top handles which is a nice touch.

The 201 has improved since it first came out and is meant to be pretty good and seems to be the more popular with most of the guys I work with nowadays. I was put off by three of the 201's in the shop having cracked oil filler guards/casing....would have meant that as it got dragged through the tree the oil cap would have taken the bashing.

Don't rule out the echo....on hot days I'd choose it for reliability and happy to put up with the slightly less power.

Good luck with whatever you choose ?

Edited by Husqvarna King

10 hours ago, Artborist said:

Looking to buy a new Top handled Chainsaw Stihl ms201t or Husqvarna t540xp ?

I have a T540 MK1.5 . Its a MK 1 with the stiffer barrel shaped AV springs and stiffened up grey belly plate from the MK 2 . Until these mods were fitted  it would fall in half if you dropped it on its strop . Its fine now .

29 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have a T540 MK1.5 . Its a MK 1 with the stiffer barrel shaped AV springs and stiffened up grey belly plate from the MK 2 . Until these mods were fitted  it would fall in half if you dropped it on its strop . Its fine now .

Sounds like a good bit of kit, did you modify it yourself? I'm pretty careful with my saws but waiting for the day it falls in half 

2 hours ago, Husqvarna King said:

Sounds like a good bit of kit, did you modify it yourself? I'm pretty careful with my saws but waiting for the day it falls in half 

DSCF0033.jpg.d2f51fc46d5f0a9810f6cb8d7ed54014.jpgDSCF0031.jpg.08922a29e545b3acf38fe255128a6c44.jpg

Edited by Stubby

Just now, Stubby said:

DSCF0033.jpg.d2f51fc46d5f0a9810f6cb8d7ed54014.jpgDSCF0031.jpg.08922a29e545b3acf38fe255128a6c44.jpg

This is what used to happen . With the strengthened mount on the grey plate and the stiffer barrel shaped AV spring all is good .  I think on the MK2 there is a different ignition unit and fly wheel but not sure .   

• Thanks 1

My mark 1 540 had the old av issue.

The thing that finished it was the chain brake mechanism breaking, which was part of the engine casting, making it uneconomical to repair.

Cracking saw though, I’d get another if I have to replace the “bigger” top handle.

From a repairers view, the Stihl MS201TC Mtronic is a much easier package to work on, the latest saw is far better than the early ones from 2013 that were dog rough.

I personally find the 540 a pig to work on, parts are difficult to remove and get to due to that grey cover and the carb/handle mechanism is probably one of the hardest machines to work on.

The strop/belt hooks on the 540 are a nice design - now I understand what the feck they do...thanks TreeDon for that!

My choice is the Stihl....sorry guys - just bear in mind I don't climb with them.

Other options - MS151 or Echo CS 2511TES - smaller, lighter and work well on lighter reductions.

• Like 1

Sorry i am for the T540, as for the Stihl being easier to work on, i had the miss fortune to fit a new handle housing, just a pile of rods and levers fell out in a heap, give me the T540 any day ,In addition to the barrel spring and strengthened base plate there is also now a limiter strap, and yes there is a different ignition unit, crankcase strengthened at hand guard pivot.

• Like 1