makita duc306 top handle

markrufrider

ok lets start this off so iv been looking around at the battery top handle market and iv tested the new husqvarna t540i witch i liked but was not impressed with the price and battery but i can't help looking at the new makita duc306z top handle is it any good and u can get one hell of a deal on one 489ponds with two battery and charger on 14inch bar i recon personally its these brands like makita dewalt Milwaukee will steal the battery top handle market that's just my own opinion they been doing battery powered tools for several decades haha 

Edited by markrufrider

ok lets start this off so iv been looking around at the battery top handle market and iv tested the new husqvarna t540i witch i liked but was not impressed with the price and battery but i can't help looking at the new makita duc306 top handle is it any good and u can get one hell of a deal on one 489ponds with two battery and charger on 14inch bar i recon personally its these brands like makita dewalt Milwaukee will steal the battery top handle market that's just my own opinion they been doing battery powered tools for several decades haha 
I have the makita 254z 18v, which is light but only good for light pruning. A guy that works with me has the t540i, it is very impressive compared to the makita, loads more power and battery life. It is a proper topper. The price is off-putting though. It also weighs about the same as a petrol one, and my elbows like a lighter saw.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jfc said:
1 hour ago, markrufrider said:
ok lets start this off so iv been looking around at the battery top handle market and iv tested the new husqvarna t540i witch i liked but was not impressed with the price and battery but i can't help looking at the new makita duc306 top handle is it any good and u can get one hell of a deal on one 489ponds with two battery and charger on 14inch bar i recon personally its these brands like makita dewalt Milwaukee will steal the battery top handle market that's just my own opinion they been doing battery powered tools for several decades haha 

Read more  

I have the makita 254z 18v, which is light but only good for light pruning. A guy that works with me has the t540i, it is very impressive compared to the makita, loads more power and battery life. It is a proper topper. The price is off-putting though. It also weighs about the same as a petrol one, and my elbows like a lighter saw.

im curious to find out what the bigger brother to the 254z is like it looks pretty good power wise the t540i is just to expensive when u consider you need two battery for it 

Its mint. I have both the 254 ( 18v single battery 10" panther 1/4 bar) and a 256 (36v double battery 10" 3/8p bar). The 36v is a totally different saw. Heavier but i use it all the time until cutting 12" upwards. You will need a few batteries if doing dismantles though, in did a 42" dbh ash last week and was into the 3rd pair of 5ah batteries at the end of the day, but that was a long day and everything rigged. The echo 2511 and ms150 havent been out to play since ive had it. Who knows if it will last as long as the stihl and husky equivilents. But so far so good.

The smaller 18v 254 is really pruning only. You wouldnt want to making many 6"+ cuts

• Like 2

18 hours ago, billpierce said:

Its mint. I have both the 254 ( 18v single battery 10" panther 1/4 bar) and a 256 (36v double battery 10" 3/8p bar). The 36v is a totally different saw. Heavier but i use it all the time until cutting 12" upwards. You will need a few batteries if doing dismantles though, in did a 42" dbh ash last week and was into the 3rd pair of 5ah batteries at the end of the day, but that was a long day and everything rigged. The echo 2511 and ms150 havent been out to play since ive had it. Who knows if it will last as long as the stihl and husky equivilents. But so far so good.

The smaller 18v 254 is really pruning only. You wouldnt want to making many 6"+ cuts

interesting i see they do the 6ah battery i wonder how much better they are the thing that is attracting me is the battery are so much cheaper to buy than lets say a still battery and the husqvarna battery for there battery saws to be honest anything over 12/14 inch bar id be wanting something bigger sent up anyway to do take down 

You're a one man sales team for these saws!

Bought a DUC256 a couple of weeks ago so got the battery offer. I would say comparable in weight and power to the Husqvarna, cuts a bit slower.

New DUC254 arrived yesterday, really nice and slim and lighter even than my MS150.

I used it today reducing a yew, it has the standard 3/8lp and I definitely think would benefit from the 1/4 setup. Which panther bar did you buy? Is it same mounts as echo or Husqvarna? Sprocket? Or is it a case of just calling RobD on Monday?

interesting i see they do the 6ah battery i wonder how much better they are the thing that is attracting me is the battery are so much cheaper to buy than lets say a still battery and the husqvarna battery for there battery saws to be honest anything over 12/14 inch bar id be wanting something bigger sent up anyway to do take down 
I think the 6ah batteries are disproportionally expensive. Best value is the 5ah i think. I would use a 12 but doubt a 14 will really be that useful.

You're a one man sales team for these saws!

Bought a DUC256 a couple of weeks ago so got the battery offer. I would say comparable in weight and power to the Husqvarna, cuts a bit slower.

New DUC254 arrived yesterday, really nice and slim and lighter even than my MS150.

I used it today reducing a yew, it has the standard 3/8lp and I definitely think would benefit from the 1/4 setup. Which panther bar did you buy? Is it same mounts as echo or Husqvarna? Sprocket? Or is it a case of just calling RobD on Monday?
Yeah i shoule try ane get sponsered or summat. I got a panther from rob, cant remember the model but for a while used the one of my little echo and it fit and oiled fine. You can get a makita sprocket but think its the same as the stihl 1/4 sprockets for electric saws. Incredibley they maube universal.

Tbh the speed on the 1/4 isnt increased on the 254 but it is a smoother cut

Yeah i shoule try ane get sponsered or summat. I got a panther from rob, cant remember the model but for a while used the one of my little echo and it fit and oiled fine. You can get a makita sprocket but think its the same as the stihl 1/4 sprockets for electric saws. Incredibley they maube universal.

Tbh the speed on the 1/4 isnt increased on the 254 but it is a smoother cut
That's great, sounds like it's a straightforward swap anyway. Less worried about the speed, it's the smoother cut I'm after because I'm used to the finer teeth on a 150. Today it was a bit grabby on small branches.
  • Like 1