Have the definitive regulations regarding firewood?

cessna

21 minutes ago, gdh said:

These are the costs

Screenshot_20220124-211306~2.png

This is how woodsure will make their money on retesting fuel as your fuel will not meet the standards originally quoted for your boiler. Most boiler manufacturers could not meet the emissions standards on ordinary fuel. To get around this problem they tested the fuel at very low moisture content and made sure the fuel sample did not include bark. Once the emission test was passed the fuel standard was noted on the certificate and that is the standard RHI is paid out on. In the past it was never a problem as the fuel was never tested to the certificate but now it will be.

Genuine question though. What the hell are us tree surgeons supposed to do with the timber we get from tree jobs? How about we just offload on the roadsides and leave if for the councils? The main reason I sell firewood is to get rid of it and make a little bit of pocket money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

This was always the case

Well, for the last week i have been burning wet wood. Burns crap, but i cannot see any smoke coming out of house chimney. I was amazed as i thought there would be loads..

Anyway, i think the tree hugging types LIKE the idea of burning wood, as, it is apparently "carbon neutral"

I can see them tring to make it so the ONLY wood you can burn will be their little pellet things..

While i am at it, what sort of prick calls wood "biomass" It is effing wood, get over it..

john..

3 minutes ago, Gardenscape said:

Genuine question though. What the hell are us tree surgeons supposed to do with the timber we get from tree jobs? How about we just offload on the roadsides and leave if for the councils? The main reason I sell firewood is to get rid of it and make a little bit of pocket money. 

Rules as yet do not stop you over 2m3

• Like 1

In the lower end of the motor trade they get round the need to give warranties by only doing trade to trade sales.

No effort is made to check if you are trade & no signing ect to confirm.

Just clear signage saying all sales will be under trade rules.

Make of this what you will. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, john87 said:

Well, for the last week i have been burning wet wood. Burns crap, but i cannot see any smoke coming out of house chimney. I was amazed as i thought there would be loads..

Anyway, i think the tree hugging types LIKE the idea of burning wood, as, it is apparently "carbon neutral"

I can see them tring to make it so the ONLY wood you can burn will be their little pellet things..

While i am at it, what sort of prick calls wood "biomass" It is effing wood, get over it..

john..

Yeh biomass....Sounds good though, totally agree with you

8 hours ago, Justme said:

In the lower end of the motor trade they get round the need to give warranties by only doing trade to trade sales.

No effort is made to check if you are trade & no signing ect to confirm.

Just clear signage saying all sales will be under trade rules.

Make of this what you will. 

I think a lot of firewood is currently sold for cash and will continue to be There is no way they can monitor all these small sales.

Biomass is size graded (commonly 30mm and 50mm) wood chips, generally for automated boilers. Logs are logs for the living room fire. Terms reasonably notorious in the industry, unless you’re a farmer, in which case biomass also includes car tyres, dead dogs and IKEA wardrobes.

Edited by AHPP
  • Haha 1

This is true, but most true that it is a pain and a pain costs time and then money. Imagine a busy yard - or maybe not that busy I don't know - has to get 10 loads of wood delivered on a Monday morning, you'd be having to sample several logs from each, record the results and work out the average to get a good representation of what the wood moisture percent actualy is, and 10 times over, and then load up and weigh what is gong out, calculate the energy and then the bill (though a spreadsheet can do the calculation and invoice easy enough) before a truck leaves the yard. Yu'd need to sell by the kWH and educate all the customers that that is how they are paying for it,

On 25/01/2022 at 19:43, AHPP said:

Biomass is size graded (commonly 30mm and 50mm) wood chips, generally for automated boilers. Logs are logs for the living room fire. Terms reasonably notorious in the industry, unless you’re a farmer, in which case biomass also includes car tyres, dead dogs and IKEA wardrobes.

How long should I season a dead dog for do you think? 🤣

• Like 1