Have the definitive regulations regarding firewood?

cessna

1 hour ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Not sure it should matter should it? The eligibility seems to be:

The RHI Greenhouse Gas (GHG) criteria. Suppliers registering fuel(s) on the
List will be required to verify that the emissions from the cultivation,
processing and transport of the biomass fuel achieves a saving of at least
60% against the EU fossil fuel average for heat, when used in a boiler which
achieves an average of 70% seasonal efficiency (≤ 34.8 g CO2 per MJ),
calculated using the life cycle assessment methodology set out in the
European Commission’s 2010 report on ‘Sustainability requirements for the
use of solid and gaseous biomass sources in electricity, heating and cooling
SEC 2010 65 Final’1.

Based on the .gov webpage on it.

No looking more at the point of view as a "Trader" not Supplier as timber is from Tree Surgeons having to monitor and report how much timber is received from each Tree Surgeon.  I used to run a tree station but this BSL rubbish killed it. Having cancelled my BSL registration about 9 months later they changed the rules in respect of getting wood from Tree Surgeons by which time I could not really care less as I had so few RHI customers anyway.

• Like 1

Woodsure is the equivalent to FairTrade and Dolphin Safe labels. It's an organisation that lets companies (who pay huge sums) use a logo to fool buyers into thinking they are being responsible. It's fraud. I've watch many undercover documentaries on FairTrade and Dolphin safe and it's total bollocks.

• Like 2

There are probably 100s of firewood suppliers in my area from large scale to the bloke with a Hi lux who does a load or two at the weekend for beer tokens? There is no way all this can be policed. I only sell a few loads a year to repeat customers. How are they going to catch me? I’m  going to chip and tune the transit, fit a bigger turbo, and if I think I’m being followed throw in a few anti surveillance tricks (I’ve watched all of Line of Duty), throw it around the roundabout’s a few times and if I’m still suspicious pull in for a Big Mac 🤔 and watch them pass on by( an old cowboy trick). 

I make light of it but I think it’s  all a load of tosh! This was all orchestrated by a few of the big boys to try and monopolise the Firewood industry - as if they weren’t making enough already from it. They’re creating a cartel. Those smaller outfits that sign up to this don’t think that’s the end of it. I’ve  spoken to my mate Boris and he says pay no attention to the rules, don’t let any work colleagues take photos, no messages by text, watts app or Facebook. Don’t employ any body who looks like Dobby cos they can’t be trusted and will try and put the knife in and I should get away with it. He finished by asking for  small load of firewood delivered to Chequers cheap for cash🤭.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, renewablejohn said:

No looking more at the point of view as a "Trader" not Supplier as timber is from Tree Surgeons having to monitor and report how much timber is received from each Tree Surgeon.  I used to run a tree station but this BSL rubbish killed it. Having cancelled my BSL registration about 9 months later they changed the rules in respect of getting wood from Tree Surgeons by which time I could not really care less as I had so few RHI customers anyway.

Ah - I see what you mean now.

I would argue (I'm sure BSL might not) as was mentioned earlier that wood sourced from local arb firms is about as low impact as you can get. It's 'waste' ie someone's problem that needs dealing with, as opposed to harvested timber and rather than send it to greenwaste it can be turned around locally to be used relatively efficiently.

Edited by Puffingbilly413
Added a bit

1 hour ago, TuscanPhil said:

I've just gone through the registration process to see what they are after - and it looks like it will cost £54 for the initial application - as to whether there is a annual recertification (likely) and what charge that would be...who knows...  

As part of the process I have to upload a quality manual and if I don't have one, they will email me a template of one that I can use (currently under construction!!!!!!)  So I don't have to do anything until they do something it now means.  I think I can stomach £54 and a few forms to enable me to get the RHI.

I should have said - I will be leaving it until the very last minute and certainly won't be signing up unless I absolutely have to.

Isn’t there also a “pay as you go” requirement?

You have to certify your sales qtys and there is a charge applied by the ton?

Thats how BSL accreditation charging works. 

Don’t really matter either way - I’m out too!

1 minute ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I'm self-supplier - my own firewood for my own use - buy none in, sell none out, so when I registered via BSL (another £30 per year - will woodsure replace this?) all I did was tell them my annual (expected) usage (about 15-20m3).

10 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

These are the costs

Screenshot_20220124-211306~2.png