Have the definitive regulations regarding firewood?

cessna

1 hour ago, difflock said:

I was looking at the firewood for sale in Tescos today, the bags of firewood at $5.50  state no weight, only 16 litres! and comprising about 5 doncy split conifer sticks. And the heatlogs are sold in packs of 5 No. for $6.00. No weight specified.

So this Woodsure shite is not interested in quantifying how firewood is sold.

Like by weight for a specified max %age moisture.

Simples really.

Same in Morrison’s (wish I’d got a pic) a box of 7 or 8 9” split birch at about 6”dia for £7!

Terrified me trying to work out how much a days heating would cost at those rates!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

The seed has been planted in the general public's mind now. Many will be searching for that logo and basing their decision to purchase on that alone, even though many you speak to don't actually know what it represents. 

Due to all the media attention climate has been receiving and will continue to receive, end users are becoming more aware of the negatives of force drying firewood by burning fuel to speed up the drying process.

When faced with a choice of buying the same product either Naturally Air Dried or Force Dried, a lot of people will by choosing the Naturally Air Dried versus Force Dried for both environmental and financial reasons, as forced dried has to cost more.

Those who Naturally Air Dry are educating the public constantly, which may reflect on those who retail Forced Dried.

I have noticed far far less people producing and retailing firewood than there were 2 years ago, as they have found easier ways to earn money.

Not sure about the first bit... Take the other scams, The only one most people have heard of is "CORGI" and they went and changed their name.. As for the other scams, NICEIC, ELECSA, etc etc, mr average punter could not care a crap about "part P" and is not in the least interested in certificates. All they want is it works and it is cheap..

You sell you wood at the right price and they will not care about anything else.. That is the way of the world. Why do you think people buy chinese shit??? All they care about is price, nothing else..

john..

• Like 1

This legislation is total nanny-state extremist claptrap.  Treat people as stupid, then stupid is what they'll become.  The more you nanny, the more you have to nanny.  Where's it going to end?

I'm only selling firewood coz this little farm I manage produces too much for the 2 woodburners & 1 fire on the premises.  Trees fall, branches need lopping and I hate to see anything go to waste.  But I'm not paying £500 for the privilege of selling off the surplus.  So the alternative is to burn the stuff on bonfires where it falls - what's the moisture content of that? 

When I started ranting about it, my OH instantly suggested selling someone a dozen eggs for £50 and letting them fill their car with an appropriate quantity of free logs.  She's a canny one...  Other options - a lump of earth with supernatural powers; old pair of trainers you were going to bin - very trendy, pair of ripped, smelly jeans with broken zip - easily worth £50.  Give a receipt for the fancy item and give away some logs, coz you've really got too many and he's welcome to a few.  This legislation only applies to firewood that's sold. 

It also only applies when the customer's burning the wood domestically - ie, in his home.  I'll be getting each buyer to sign a little form that certifies he'll be burning the wood in a non-domestic environment - ie, his workplace.  It can't be proved that he's not, because the council's enforcement officer only has the power to inspect and question the seller, not the buyer.  The little form will also confirm the MC of the wood, as verified in front of him by a meter.  Get back to work. 😎

Edited by dudders
It's Monday
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, john87 said:

Not sure about the first bit... Take the other scams, The only one most people have heard of is "CORGI" and they went and changed their name.. As for the other scams, NICEIC, ELECSA, etc etc, mr average punter could not care a crap about "part P" and is not in the least interested in certificates. All they want is it works and it is cheap..

You sell you wood at the right price and they will not care about anything else.. That is the way of the world. Why do you think people buy chinese shit??? All they care about is price, nothing else..

john..

Your pioneering spirit is what makes arbs a cut above the rest. I enjoy reading all reports from the outer edge 😄. But consumers are reassured by regulatory stamps of approval. It's what keeps them coming back. Educating them rather than us producers is the challenge. 👍

5 hours ago, dudders said:

I'll be getting each buyer to sign a little form that certifies he'll be burning the wood in a non-domestic environment - ie, his workplace.  It can't be proved that he's not, because the council's enforcement officer only has the power to inspect and question the seller, not the buyer.  The little form will also confirm the MC of the wood, as verified in front of him by a meter.  Get back to work. 😎

Good luck with that. The process of selling, on an ongoing basis, to the same customer over and over again requires trust from the buyer in the seller. "Please sign this form, where you lie to protect me, for which you gain no other benefit from the lie other than a pile of wood which is probably greater than 20% MC" (as otherwise you wouldn't need to worry about the little form).

If you asked me to sign it I'd tell you no. So now what do you do? Forge signatures on little forms? Well you might as well, as if you are knowingly trying to circumvent regulations, whats a bit of forgery?   

2 hours ago, DanHorrich87 said:

Your pioneering spirit is what makes arbs a cut above the rest. I enjoy reading all reports from the outer edge 😄. But consumers are reassured by regulatory stamps of approval. It's what keeps them coming back. Educating them rather than us producers is the challenge. 👍

Thing is, they are not, the mostly do not care.. Look at the amount of electrical stuff you see for sale on facebook and ebay that does not and never will have a CE mark and so is illegal to sell. Does not stop people buying it though. I only want quality stuff and do not mind he extra price [cheaper in the long run] but many people, all they want is NEW and cheap..

john..

• Like 1

When I started ranting about it, my OH instantly suggested selling someone a dozen eggs for £50 and letting them fill their car with an appropriate quantity of free logs.  She's a canny one...  Other options - a lump of earth with supernatural powers; old pair of trainers you were going to bin - very trendy, pair of ripped, smelly jeans with broken zip - easily worth £50.  Give a receipt for the fancy item and give away some logs, coz you've really got too many and he's welcome to a few.  

Ah this takes me back to a simpler time when there was a guy who ran an ice cream van during the night. If you called him he would sell you a bag of crisps for a tenner and you got four cans of beer free. Got away with it for years until the hounding from the local council finally shut him down
  • Haha 2

"If you asked me to sign it I'd tell you no. So now what do you do? Forge signatures on little forms? Well you might as well, as if you are knowingly trying to circumvent regulations, whats a bit of forgery?"

Why should I start forging signatures?  I can only sell you firewood if you assure me that it's not for domestic use.  If I'm to continue selling firewood without certification, I have to be able to prove to the council inspector that I'm not selling it for domestic use.  Guilty till proved innocent, etc.  How can I prove it?  Only by matching each of my sales receipts to a buyer's written confirmation that his purchase is not for domestic use.  End of.  The inspector is not empowered under the legislation to question the buyer or even visit his premises.  

How is that knowingly trying to circumvent regulations?  I'm only covering my backside against the state trying to kick it. The blessed gov has a habit of kicking the butts of little people, whilst licking the butts of big ones.

If you don't want to confirm to me that your firewood use is non-domestic, then no sale, no problem.  

Edited by dudders
  • Like 1