Have the definitive regulations regarding firewood?

cessna

41 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Oh, John. Don’t say things like “100%” and then straight away drop a bollock (the golden rule and a load of other stuff). You come off like Vespasian, a former member and pretty serious know it all.

Golden rule? Like Goldilocks?

Any chance you could say a bit more?

John was interesting on a thread about council legalities. I'm a numpty so no essay. Just a pointer or two 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gdh said:

Just found out that anyone on the biomass suppliers list (required to claim RHI or supply anyone who does) will require full woodsure accreditation, not just ready to burn.

Looking at the paperwork now and it's a ridiculous amount...

I showed BSL the door at a very early stage as I had so few RHI clients. I am now pleased I did as I would not like to jump through these new hoops and it will probably be the death of RHI. It closes to new entrants in March anyway.

Golden rule? Like Goldilocks? Any chance you could say a bit more?

John was interesting on a thread about council legalities. I'm a numpty so no essay. Just a pointer or two [emoji3]

It’s generally accepted there are three (sort of four but ignore that for now) rules of statutory interpretation in English law. John completely missed one (the golden rule) in the same breath as appraising the legal understanding to be, “100% correct.” I found his input on the council thing interesting too but I’m afraid I trust it less now. Don’t take this as unduly harsh, John but this is the peril of sounding super certain about something complicated. It’s OK to not be. The law isn’t easy.

Back to Dan (and anyone else with too much mental energy to burn on a Friday night). If you want an evening of interesting and probably relevant reading, start with statutory interpretation, have a flick through the Interpretation Acts (probably the 1974 one) and the Sale of Goods Act 198whenever and then look at the Boots Cash Chemist line of caselaw (Boots itself, the flick knife in the window and the rare birds for the basis) for hints about how judges can be persuaded. Have fun.

EDIT: I hasten to add that looking up the above will certainly give you a flavour for what the law is or might be but the only way to know or get epistemologically close is to pay Reuters a lot of money for a database and learn how to use it. It changes constantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

It’s generally accepted there are three (sort of four but ignore that for now) rules of statutory interpretation in English law. John completely missed one (the golden rule) in the same breath as appraising the legal understanding to be, “100% correct.” I found his input on the council thing interesting too but I’m afraid I trust it less now. Don’t take this as unduly harsh, John but this is the peril of sounding super certain about something complicated. It’s OK to not be. The law isn’t easy.

Back to Dan (and anyone else with too much mental energy to burn on a Friday night). If you want an evening of interesting and probably relevant reading, start with statutory interpretation, have a flick through the Interpretation Acts (probably the 1974 one) and the Sale of Goods Act 198whenever and then look at the Boots Cash Chemist line of caselaw (Boots itself, the flick knife in the window and the rare birds for the basis) for hints about how judges can be persuaded. Have fun.

Yes, one thing you can be certain of with the law, is once you step in a court you have no idea what will happen. NOTHING is set in stone with a judge, there might be established case law, but they can choose to ignore this, there is a word for it, but it escapes me right now.. HOWEVER, you can guarantee, thet the one thing that a judge will have uppermost in his mind is the bit about "the disease which inflicteth the commonwealth" [the prevention of smoke]  This disease blah blah thing comes from Heydon, a case from 1584, so i think it can be taken as well established by now..

You say i missed the "golden rule"... It is the golden rule which establishes that words shall be given their ordinary meaning, hence my bit about "animals" not including unusual things such as lions and tigers..

john..

Yes, one thing you can be certain of with the law, is once you step in a court you have no idea what will happen. NOTHING is set in stone with a judge, there might be established case law, but they can choose to ignore this, there is a word for it, but it escapes me right now.. HOWEVER, you can guarantee, thet the one thing that a judge will have uppermost in his mind is the bit about "the disease which inflicteth the commonwealth" [the prevention of smoke]  This disease blah blah thing comes from Heydon, a case from 1584, so i think it can be taken as well established by now..  

You say i missed the "golden rule"... It is the golden rule which establishes that words shall be given their ordinary meaning, hence my bit about "animals" not including unusual things such as lions and tigers..

john..

That’s the literal rule. The golden rule is about diverging from the literal rule if following it slavishly would result in absurdity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, john87 said:

It would not end well..

Having said all that, it has already been decided that the penalty for breaches of the act will be a civil penalty, a fixed penalty of £300 and this would be enforced as a civil debt [like a parking fine say] so the only time anyone would end up in a court is if they CHOSE to, which bearing in mind the above, would be a bit daft!!

john..

£300 per incident.

That could soon rack up to big number fast.

20 hours ago, gdh said:

Just found out that anyone on the biomass suppliers list (required to claim RHI or supply anyone who does) will require full woodsure accreditation, not just ready to burn.

Received my letter today.  I'm registered as a 'self supplier' so that I can reclaim the RHI for my biomass central heating system.  Not quite sure (yet) what I need to do to continue to claim the RHI but as I've got about 3-4 years left on my RHI claim, I don't want to lose that!  I'm watching with interest!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuscanPhil said:

Received my letter today.  I'm registered as a 'self supplier' so that I can reclaim the RHI for my biomass central heating system.  Not quite sure (yet) what I need to do to continue to claim the RHI but as I've got about 3-4 years left on my RHI claim, I don't want to lose that!  I'm watching with interest!

With the new rules and added costs you may find it cheaper to end the scheme early.

1 hour ago, TuscanPhil said:

There is talk of a simplified version for small self suppliers but I haven't seen it confirmed.

If that's not an option this is what I'm looking at now...

164286737124610980243158145016.jpg

• Sad 1

On 21/01/2022 at 18:16, gdh said:

Is woodchip supplied to biomass burners covered by the new woodsure scheme😳