Have the definitive regulations regarding firewood?

cessna

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:
2 hours ago, Peasgood said:
Which part of log sales hasn't been working quite well for the last few centuries?

Simple practicality, isn't it? To sell by weight I'd need some sort of massive scales, all I need to sell by volume is a tape measure.

Not really.. i have a set of electronic crane scales. You could simply hook on a bag, press the "tare" button, and then throw in logs to the desired weight. You could dangle the whole lot from a chain block..

john..

Not really.. i have a set of electronic crane scales. You could simply hook on a bag, press the "tare" button, and then throw in logs to the desired weight. You could dangle the whole lot from a chain block..

john..
Exactly my point, I need a crane to hang the chain block off of else I'm going to be handballing them all out of the bag after that. And a little frame to keep the bag corners apart while the logs go in, etc etc

Or chuck em in a trailer I measured years ago.
  • Like 5

Plus, if you sell by weight, it’s in your interests to leave as much water in them as you can get away with. Makes the market a bit sharkier and you’ll end up with the proliferation of low quality firewood like the situation with charcoal. Volume works well enough. The loose cube is standard enough and easy enough to understand.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Exactly my point, I need a crane to hang the chain block off of else I'm going to be handballing them all out of the bag after that. And a little frame to keep the bag corners apart while the logs go in, etc etc

Or chuck em in a trailer I measured years ago.

Yes, i see what you mean....

john..

6 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Don't waste your time discussing sale by weight, as sale by volume is now locked into legislation.

Whatever your opinion, view or political persuasion, there will be far less retailers producing larger volumes and they will all be Ready to burn certified.

And it will all be at huge expense..

People will not bother and just get gas central heating.. Oh, i forgot, the gas is running out.. They will all have to have electric heating.. Oh i forgot again, silly me, the government went and sold all the power companies to their foreign friends.. [and wonder why they have a deficit. every time you switch on a switch money flows out of the country]

Funnily enough, I am going to get a log burner on the weekend. I can cut plenty of wood myself then and burn that..

john..

1 hour ago, john87 said:

And it will all be at huge expense..

People will not bother and just get gas central heating.. Oh, i forgot, the gas is running out.. They will all have to have electric heating.. Oh i forgot again, silly me, the government went and sold all the power companies to their foreign friends.. [and wonder why they have a deficit. every time you switch on a switch money flows out of the country]

Funnily enough, I am going to get a log burner on the weekend. I can cut plenty of wood myself then and burn that..

john..

Make sure it's future proofed. Eg DEFRA certified. Alymic-somthing-or-other on here knows latest codes. Of course if you're in the back of beyond then efficiency and compliance may not be your thing 😂

• Like 1