Have the definitive regulations regarding firewood?

cessna

10 minutes ago, gdh said:

2 cube won't be more than a ton of weight, whatever the wood. The logic is if you're buying that amount you'll probably have the space for seasoning (not that there's much common sense in these regulations).

The rules apply to the delivery that's taken to the customer.

Being in Wales I've been avoiding signing up, on principal as much as anything, but woodsure have taken over the RHI scheme and everyone on that will have to register from this April so no choice now unfortunately. All part of the fun of selling firewood. 😉

Everyone trying to do things legally will be put out of business by people advertising on facebook selling firewood as an alternative to fly tipping it..

World has gone mad..

john..

13 hours ago, john87 said:

Is not 2 cubic metres of wood rather a lot?? What would it weigh??

How will they define 2 metres anyway??

what is to stop you saying it was 2 metres before you cut it up?? What does the law say about that??

john..

A cubic metre of loose logs is a lot less than you might imagine, this bucket is 1.3 cubic M.

We call two bucket full (2.6 cube) a load.

DSC_1224.thumb.JPG.4edfbe3ffdd2cf653b58478dd8f03f5c.JPG

DSC_1222.thumb.JPG.2d91f23506546ddee298984e32fd700d.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, john87 said:

Is not 2 cubic metres of wood rather a lot?? What would it weigh??

How will they define 2 metres anyway??

what is to stop you saying it was 2 metres before you cut it up?? What does the law say about that??

john..

I just this week moved 2 loose stacks from my field to the wood shed by my house. In the field it looked 2 big piles. In the ATV trailer it looked enormous (just thrown in loose). Properly tightly stacked into the wood shed it looks like I need to go get another load 😂 

There must be a better way to rate wood. If as stated FB off book sales are killing the trade surely it could be sold by some kind of BTU type rating? I know it would be a pain to start but it would mean the legit sellers would have the advantage over the random FB stuff.

4 hours ago, Ben Pinnick said:

I just this week moved 2 loose stacks from my field to the wood shed by my house. In the field it looked 2 big piles. In the ATV trailer it looked enormous (just thrown in loose). Properly tightly stacked into the wood shed it looks like I need to go get another load 😂 

There must be a better way to rate wood. If as stated FB off book sales are killing the trade surely it could be sold by some kind of BTU type rating? I know it would be a pain to start but it would mean the legit sellers would have the advantage over the random FB stuff.

I think despite the issues cubic metres is the best way overall. You could charge per KW of heat produced but you would have to work it out for each customer. Someone with a biomass boiler is going to get a lot more energy from a load of logs than someone with a log burner or even an open fire.

3 minutes ago, gdh said:

I think despite the issues cubic metres is the best way overall. You could charge per KW of heat produced but you would have to work it out for each customer. Someone with a biomass boiler is going to get a lot more energy from a load of logs than someone with a log burner or even an open fire.

That's a good point, but it doesn't have to be a specific btu or kWh. As long as it's standardised. 

Your buying 200 KG of 30% birch 70% ash at a stored MC of 17% predelivery so thats 300 Ben's Thermal Units... As an example. It would never be totally accurate but could be manageable I'd think. 

One of the reasons I got into chopping down trees is because I was buying such variable wood (often the same supplier). 

• Like 1

looking like we better get registered with them,I reckon we shall loose a lot of trade by selling by the 2cube

So anyone know the story? they come and check out my barns take some logs away for testing and if sub20% all good

I think i read somewhere that the timber must be accredited ?No idea what that means,I do know on our firewood invoices it states the timber is non accredited .

Sometimes the harder you try the worst it gets,been doing a good job in recent years,getting all the split wood in the barn with plenty of air flowing through there,and that timbers been stacked in cord outside for 24months before putting a saw anywhere near it....some lovely stuff

• Like 2

Well the Woodsure Stazi shut me down with their incessant nagging. I think they pretended to be buyers too even after they closed me down - and i'd launch into this tirade about Boris being elected to cut red tape then they introduce this 'certification' to prove my wood is dry. It is (was) the driest in the district.
   They want about £500 a year to 'certify' my wood and I stored it in clamps under plastic for 2yrs min and checked it with moisture meters. Not good enough. I'd have had to do x y z maybe even kiln drying after a week of moist air - for a modest doorstep seller this is not possible. I now bonfire loads of huge trees as if they can't be sold for money, it is not worth transporting them out of the field. Where's the sense in that - apart from an entire bunch of jobs for Woodsure people - bonfire of red tape my ass this is red tape that just favours importing of shrink wrapped kiln dried crap from eastern europe on diesel powered juggernaults. Not environmentally friendly.

• Like 12

Well, at the end of the day, you could all just ignore the rules..

What will happen?? Precisely nothing. Look at the "part "P" thing for electrical work. Half the councils admit they are not interested. Sure, if you want to get building regs signed off you will have to have the appropriate cert, but even building regs do not seem to matter much.. The people next door to me built a great big extension, it was permitted development, but they did not even bother with building regs, neither did the council. They sold the house and the new people took out insurance in case the council ever did turn up [they did not]

As for everything else, look at all the "electricians" on facebook and elsewhere. Most of them are not even qualified, never mind able to issue certs. Think the council even care..

The planning department here is only open a few days a week as they cannot afford enough staff. Even then it seems they are more concerned with pointless paperwork, "construction environment management plans" and that sort of nonsense, oh, and bats..

Take it from me, they have not got the time or money to worry about wood.

As for the wood being tested at the customers place, the conversation in court will go some thing like this.

The wood was dry when i sold it..

No it was not, and the inspector tested it and he said it was wet too

Counsel for the defence.. "Was the wood wet when you got it??"

no,

Can you prove that??

it is wet now, the inspector said

did it get wet after you bought it.

no

can you prove that??

it was wet it was wet!!!

Let me put it another way, is it POSSIBLE that it got wet [burden of proof and all that] that it got wet at your place??

It never it never!!!

Can you prove that..

case dismissed..

I would not even worry..

john...

• Like 3