Suspension limits

Paul Tomo

How can I tell if I’m getting to the weight limit on my transit crew cab, someone has mentioned about the bottom leaf spring having a gap between the upper leaf spring and when they are close to touching each other you are getting to the max weight load. Is this true?

Thanks Paul 

DDDD12A1-133D-49DE-AC74-2E2C34368AEF.jpeg

4 hours ago, Paul Tomo said:

0.4 ton. That’s not much at all.

That's how it is though.

Just don't worry about it. Now much else you can do, 95% of small tree companies run the same. The trucks mechanically are good for a lot more weight, but UK weight limits on a car licence are not.

• Like 1

As per Doobin.
Put up rated springs on so you don’t look overweight and draw attention.
Any 3.5t van with high sides that’s full of chip will be overweight.
It’s not big or clever but it’s the way it is .. I bought springs from midland road springs. They are rated 1.5t over and above the normal springs. Very pleased with them. When the barn doors are shut you wouldn’t know there was much in the back.

7 hours ago, Paul Tomo said:

0.4 ton. That’s not much at all.

About 1m3 at the moment!

One of my tip sites has a weigh bridge, winter chip you need to allow 300kg per m3, summer chip 400kg per m3. 

Been quite an eye opener getting weighed tbh. 

3 hours ago, doobin said:

That's how it is though.

Just don't worry about it. Now much else you can do, 

Run bigger vehicles? Cart chip on a trailer instead? Plenty of options, options that require more effort and £ unfortunately. 

The cold truth is running overweight and illegally keeps you competitive in the UK. 

• Like 1

Run bigger vehicles? Cart chip on a trailer instead? Plenty of options, options that require more effort and £ unfortunately. 
The cold truth is running overweight and illegally keeps you competitive in the UK. 
Yah, ended up on the scales at council tip a while back, empty my truck with an arsnel of saws and rigging kit etc left a very small payload if any
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

I’m amazed no one has built a truck that holds the chipper and then tow a trailer for the chip, easier to stay legal

Like this?

In theory a stripped out car transporter style pickup with 7t gtw could carry a 6inch tracked chipper, and tow a 3,5t trailer with 2.3ish ton chip

A1584C73-4771-41D1-95AA-2FCE14C6379B.thumb.png.001616c08d5eb36b68fb38a6c7136daf.png

• Like 3