Makita 36v 230mm ( 9 inch) grinders

billpierce

i found the dewalt 4.5” blows through batteries really quickly! So use it for smaller jobs, or remote work. have a corded 4.5 and 9 for bigger jobs
Yeah i have a wee bosch 4" which eats batteries, but was hoping these new makita 36v brushless motors might be a bit kinder. Which they would be if as good as the 36v saws

I bought an 18V Metabo angle grinder, which is pish-poor compared to the (also Metabo) 230V version.

115/125mm grinders(and indeed bigger ones) must be power-hungry brutes.

mth

EDIT;

Per a comment below to clarify, Part of the pish-poor performance is poor battery life.

Edited by difflock

I’ve not tried one, but have a 18v 4” one and as everyone else says it doesn’t last long. Would have thought the 36v 230mm wouldn’t really last much longer either as you’d be cutting bigger stuff anyway? But please buy one so you can let me know if they are a  waste of money or not. ? 

I also find the grinder flats the batteries fast ...for sanding ( depends on what you are doing exactly )   try a makita angle drill with a rubber back plate and 6" sanding discs ( velcro ) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DDA350Z-Li-ion-Batteries-Included/dp/B00KPPX19W/ref=asc_df_B00KPPX19W/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=272040849262&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12970980443865416081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006953&hvtargid=pla-350196198663&psc=1

• Like 1

Brushless Makita tools are approximately double the tool of their non brushless equivalents in my experience- it's a quantum leap forward in terms of output and battery life.

If you are doing a lot of sanding then don't overlook the brushless Makita with the speed control- super helpful for sanding and of course battery life. My second 5" makita has this function, and I wish both did.

Don't forget that there are knock off batteries up to 9ah available to help with run time, although I think a pair of 9AH won't fit my brushless circular saw for some reason- might be the same with the 9" grinder.

Final thing to consider- do you really need 9" or would 7" be enough (oeer missus!)? I've invested in a 150mm Metabo corded grinder and it's the bollocks. All you need for grinding and you can get 1.2mm thick discs for it similar to the 1mm 125mm ones for cutting quick. Makita offer that double battery grinder in 9 and 7", and 7" will most likely be better on the juice.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

My bosch 125mm grinder lasts for 20 mins trigger time with a seven amp hour battery you most definitely get what you pay for with batteries. the best 230mm battery grinder I have used is by metabo a very good quality machine. makita suffer with poor batteries dewalt are a joke for spares and quality. Milwaukee have some very good tools and a 350mm battery disc cutter with a large chainsaw to follow

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dumper said:

My bosch 125mm grinder lasts for 20 mins trigger time with a seven amp hour battery you most definitely get what you pay for with batteries. the best 230mm battery grinder I have used is by metabo a very good quality machine. makita suffer with poor batteries dewalt are a joke for spares and quality. Milwaukee have some very good tools and a 350mm battery disc cutter with a large chainsaw to follow

That is staggering progress re the 350mm battery disc cutter!