Lockdown Scrapheap Challenge

Billhook

To keep myself occupied during lockdown I have built a box wedge splitter out of parts kicking around the yard,  which works well.

I need to cut into rounds some 36 inch plus diameter logs and I intend to mount a chainsaw in the machine, driven by perhaps a 3 phase motor and geared up for the 10,000 rpm (??) . advice needed here please (all work is done in the yard with the logs being brought in.

I have the Lucas slabber with a six foot blade sitting idle at the moment as I am "slabbed out"  More slabs than I know what to do with!

The Lucas Blade has no writing on it but I am told it uses 404 chain pitch and has a gauge of 1.6mm  and is 190 links.  but all this needs confirming

I thought it would be a good idea to keep the same frame layout but just extend it so it can cut 18 inch lengths of round, perfect for our stove.  At the moment the slabber can cut up to a nine inch slab.  This way I can keep the oilers at either end and it give the blade more support.

I intend to use a manual arm to lower it into the log so I can feel what is happening

Does this sound feasible using perhaps a new chain with  semi chisel cutters?  Is the bar up to the job?

I should add that this will not be used on an everyday basis, just to deal with the logs too big for the Palax

I will post this in the milling section as well as I know some folk there use Lucas slabbers

Edited by Billhook

When is the video coming?

I wouldn't have thought it worth risking the Lucas slabber bar for this, an old 100cc saw with a 36" bar will get through most things, with maybe something to guide it at the correct width.

Anyway much better than getting Daisy pushing it through the mud.

That is what I wanted to hear, some common sense!  However when have I ever used common sense?  Why change the habit of a lifetime!

I have some videos of it working well with the box wedge on some fairly large logs, but I need a few minor alterations before I put together a complete video. I need to try and do some severe editing because everybody has such a short attention span these days!

Yesterday, because my larger Stihl was not working I thought that I would tackle a three foot diameter lump of sycamore with the Stihl 181 and sixteen inch bar just to see how the splitter would cope. But the saw was not up to the job and it would have been painful to watch!  I gave up in the end.

But even an old 100 cc saw and bar in working order is going to cost a bit to fettle is it not?

I see that it has the number 27 on all the drive teeth on the Lucas skip chain on the bar.  What does this number mean?

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

I need to try and do some severe editing because everybody has such a short attention span these days!

I resemble that remark and feel it is an insult to people who

OOh look dicky birds....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Billhook said:

I see that it has the number 27 on all the drive teeth on the Lucas skip chain on the bar.  What does this number mean?

Oregon Ripping Chain RipCut Super Skip .404", 1.6 mm 27rx not meant for cross cutting, you'd want and old 59AC type for cross cutting dirty wood. For crosscutting up to 36" you don't need a skip chain on a big saw.

No, I realise that the skip chain is no good for cross cutting and I was always going to have a new chain made up to 190 links with semi chisel cutters , but really in this scrap heap challenge, the chain was going to be my only real expense as all the other bits are kicking around the yard.......somewhere!

10 hours ago, peatff said:

I resemble that remark and feel it is an insult to people who

OOh look dicky birds....

I was laughing  at " resemble that remark " but when dicky birds came along I , er ...I dunno err what ?  18:45 I think .

Edited by Stubby