Getting into consultancy

Maxnaggle

Heya all, I’m after some advice on how to go about making a shift towards consultancy based work. I’m self employed, have been for years, and am coming up to completing a l4 diploma in arb. Future aspirations are to do a PTI course and at some point in the near future a level 6 or similar - I’d like to continue to run my own business. My current work is a range of subcontracting and own jobs, I’ve been doing tree work since 2012, so 8 years.

What I was wondering, is whether people have gone for a period of employment, to gain experience etc, or whether people have gone ahead and tried to secure their ‘own’ work? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

thanks 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Maxnaggle said:

Heya all, I’m after some advice on how to go about making a shift towards consultancy based work. I’m self employed, have been for years, and am coming up to completing a l4 diploma in arb. Future aspirations are to do a PTI course and at some point in the near future a level 6 or similar - I’d like to continue to run my own business. My current work is a range of subcontracting and own jobs, I’ve been doing tree work since 2012, so 8 years.

What I was wondering, is whether people have gone for a period of employment, to gain experience etc, or whether people have gone ahead and tried to secure their ‘own’ work? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

thanks 

What I did was to approach local tree consultants and suggest I that I should be out surveying for them. They would write up reports. Then I ended up writing the reports for them. Then I repeated that process.
Now my work is divided up between sub-consulting and work from my own businesses.
You can learn a great deal from working with as many people as possible.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark J said:

What I did was to approach local tree consultants and suggest I that I should be out surveying for them. They would write up reports. Then I ended up writing the reports for them. Then I repeated that process.
Now my work is divided up between sub-consulting and work from my own businesses.
You can learn a great deal from working with as many people as possible.

Thats a good idea, and not one i'd considered, thank you for that. I definitely agree to learning lots through working with different companies, maintains an open minded approach in my opinion. I think the main thing to overcome is that most jobs ive seen advertised require previous experience... 

Suggest 'not delaying' on doing the PTI as increasingly seen as the benchmark 'competence qualification' (technically a certification) for tree (safety) surveys / inspections. This may stand you in better stead for working for/with other consultants...also consider professional memberships AA/ICF etc. to help with CPD opportunities and professional recognition.

Good luck,

Paul

• Like 2

On 09/06/2020 at 09:09, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Suggest 'not delaying' on doing the PTI as increasingly seen as the benchmark 'competence qualification' (technically a certification) for tree (safety) surveys / inspections. This may stand you in better stead for working for/with other consultants...also consider professional memberships AA/ICF etc. to help with CPD opportunities and professional recognition.

Good luck,

Paul

Heya Paul, thanks for that, its the next thing i'd like to do in the short term for sure. I've also noticed it being a requirement for a lot of advertised work.