Clearing newly purchased Land in Yorkshire.

Matt C

Nice as it is - I expect as it is, is of no use to you.

If it were mine and I was in no mad panic to use it until next year, I would prefer save myself a lot of money.

In September treat the complete area with Grazon Pro, 2 with an adjuvant, then 2 weeks later treat with Glyphosate with an adjuvant.

Leave until late March / early April and treat the whole area again with Grazon Pro, 2 with an adjuvant when any re-growth is actively growing,  then 2 weeks later treat with Glyphosate with an adjuvant.

This will leave the complete are practically bare. You will be able then clearly see any features, hazzards etc. etc.

Or you can try and shortcut the process and you will still have Nettles, Brambles, Docks and possibly Ragwort appearing for several years to come.

If there is anything special you wish to retain, you can take precautions to protect before commencement of course.

29 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

In September treat the complete area with Grazon Pro, 2 with an adjuvant, then 2 weeks later treat with Glyphosate with an adjuvant.

but he's saying the netttles are high 

when I've done it I use Stihl FS490 (old model) an FS460 or FS 550 would do, plus mulching blade and guard and visor (or you could lose teeth and eyesight) - an acre of that would be two days by hand at most, if you buy a big clearing saw like the one pictured and the mulching set up, just run it and empty the tank on the ground till the engine stops, machine will then start easily 6 months or a year later when its next needed.

You could buy the Stihl clearing saw new, plus mulching blade, guard, forestry helmet, e.g Solo, Berthoud knapsack sprayer and chemicals for under £1000.  I if was asked I would knock it all down with mulching blade then spray off the regrowth.

Mulching by hand is dangerous but with nettles you don't have to work on full revs

stihl-fs550-petrol-strimmer-brushcutter-c-w-4-way.jpg.ac772e452d23f5185862f4667b850a2d.jpg

No point doing anything unless you deicide what you want to do with the land.

Must be very fertile  & phosphate enriched so I don't expect a fast conversion to a meadow or woodland species.

WWW.LOWIMPACT.ORG

Meadows, grassland, pasture - what are the differences? Learn how to manage each of these on your smallholding to...

Must admit I think I'd just get inabout it with a decent strimmer.

Even just do 1 fill a nite u wouldnae be long making a big hole in it.

Plus that way if they're is any hidden debris/wire/rubbish/wet holes etc hidden below ur not finding it with some expensive hired machinery.

And I'd imagine u wil n3d a strimmer for future management of irt anyway