Big Ash tree needs felling

Cadno

Thanks Cadno.

Getting it on the floor is the easy bit, getting it through the gate to the front of the house to the vans either as chip or cut up wood is where the problems start.

There is no way any crew could get the branches out to the front as quick as the climber can put them on the lawn, so he’s either sitting up the tree or popping down to help out from time to time. A point I made before is the paint at the side of the house is going to get streaked green unless everyone is very careful, more time taken..

Then there’s the wood, I’d say there’s 4 tonne of cord, so if you cut that into 25kg pieces for putting in a barrow to the front maybe 2 pieces a barrow, That’s 80 trips, all in the afternoon after a hard morning (plus that wood isn’t going to cut itself into pieces, lots of cutting rings into quarters or worse)

Then the sawdust and general rakings.

Makes me tired just thinking about it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cadno said:

In response to little-p. We initially wanted deadwood and some lower branches removed. Because of the TPO, we needed permission. But the TPO Officer said he would not come out ( even after the coved lockdown). He wanted a qualified assessment. So, a tree surgery on came out, agreed to do the work, but pointed out some bracket fungus. Photographs were sent to the TPO, who thought it could be Inonotus Hispidus, although I said the tree looked healthy, he wanted more info. Dave Wiltshire (consultant) said, evidence of dieback, mallet inspection of branches near the fungus appeared to have internal defects/decay. Limbs failure highly likely. Hazard. Tree was estimated as H:22 metres. Crown spread 16-18 metres, stem at breast height 120cm. 

From the discussion here so far, I think keeping any wood would be a bad idea, so all of it to go.

Removal of all cord and timber has put a whole different slant on the job unless the piece of ground at the back is convenient to cut and stack all cord and leave the rings for Mother Earth to take back? Moving all that wood has increased the job to double the price and another day and a half + easy if everything has to go.

just wondering if you told the guy who came around and quoted you £4.5k+VAT all the wood had to be taken away?and have you had any other quotes yet?

• Like 1

For sure mate, but on that tree even an average climber like myself could rig faster than 2 or 3 good lads could clear it up the garden and past the house.

You'd want your a-team on the ground for sure!
If ur average I'm a beginner [emoji13]
  • Haha 1

As always, what appears straight forward from an initial picture, after a few questions, it just gets worse, overhanging gardens, all away, big stump for a small grinder, very narrow access etc etc.
I get asked to quote off Facebook picture messages all the time, which I don’t price until I’ve been and looked, and invariably there’s one unseen hazard after another, lurking just out of the picture.
And when I price I’m compared unfavourably with someone’s mate who has priced off the pic alone, at a quarter of my price.
Hard grafting drudge is ok if you’ve priced it high enough.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Thanks Cadno.

Getting it on the floor is the easy bit, getting it through the gate to the front of the house to the vans either as chip or cut up wood is where the problems start.

There is no way any crew could get the branches out to the front as quick as the climber can put them on the lawn, so he’s either sitting up the tree or popping down to help out from time to time. A point I made before is the paint at the side of the house is going to get streaked green unless everyone is very careful, more time taken..

Then there’s the wood, I’d say there’s 4 tonne of cord, so if you cut that into 25kg pieces for putting in a barrow to the front maybe 2 pieces a barrow, That’s 80 trips, all in the afternoon after a hard morning (plus that wood isn’t going to cut itself into pieces, lots of cutting rings into quarters or worse)

Then the sawdust and general rakings.

Makes me tired just thinking about it.

I'm a lot younger than you Mick and even I'm tired just thinking about it.

Surprises me how many of the lads on here want the blast through every job 100mph. Not sustainable

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swinny said:

I'm a lot younger than you Mick and even I'm tired just thinking about it.

Surprises me how many of the lads on here want the blast through every job 100mph. Not sustainable

I've sustained it for 22 years so far and am fitter then ever ?

• Like 1