Rainwater drainage!

PeteB

Just now, dig-dug-dan said:

Yep. They look like milk crates, they hold 97% of their volume in water, a rubble filled soakaway holds 10, and slits up too quickly. Dig the hole, put the required number in, wrap them in terram, and backfill with 20mm shingle. Job done

Yep I have done that with them . Could not remember what they were called . Had a mini digger of a friend so all went well .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, doobin said:

Agree with dan. Rubble soak away is a pikey job. 

Building control are almost insisting that I do just that on a new build. 

Even when I say I intend to run a drain away from the site and into (my) land drain system.

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

The drive, garden and garage flooded again yesterday. The butts overflowed despite them connected to hoses that went to the bottom of the garden and on the other side of the house, the water from the down pipe wasn't getting into the hole quick enough and overflowing, with the surface stuff coming down the hill, it was couple of inches deep pdq!

I checked my bill and I pay a rainwater tariff so decided to route the one down pipe direct into waste water. The OfWat web page seems to say that this is okay. It rained again and the garden and garage etc flooded again! Water was boiling out of the 'soakaway' and this was causing the flooding. It appears that I don't have soakaways, but have drains. Somewhere between me and the brook, it is blocked! I got to find out who is responsible for it next.....

If the blockage is within your curtilage and not a shared drain the problem is yours, why anyone would dig soakaways if they are connected to a surface water sewer/brook is beyond me. If you get stuck, shout.

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

If the blockage is within your curtilage and not a shared drain the problem is yours, why anyone would dig soakaways if they are connected to a surface water sewer/brook is beyond me. If you get stuck, shout.

Curtilage?  Should I have a broddle with a set of rods? In your experience, would they go towards the brook behind the house or join mains sewer?

10 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Curtilage?  Should I have a broddle with a set of rods? In your experience, would they go towards the brook behind the house or join mains sewer?

Curtilage: your boundary. You won't do any harm having a go with some rods. If it joins the brook or a surface water sewer is hard to call without seeing it. I'd think with a house built in the 80's it would go to surface water sewer, but that's no guarantee.

• Like 1

It seems that they cross the boundary to next door, catches two house and heads down the garden, across the green space and into the brook. It isn't clearly recorded on maps apparently. They are going to send a jetting truck to try and blow it through. But, they doubt that they will have any success. Mire storms and floods forecast for Friday so I'm off to get two drain bungs to fit a 2.5 inch diameter drain! The neighbours wont appreciate it but I've had enough of having a wet garage! I got to put the gearbox back in the toy car again and ain't doing it in the damp!

The drainage issue at this end of the estate is an ongoing issue unfortunately.  Done wrong in the first instance, never put right and never will be! To STWA and the LA, the cost/benefit ratio doesn't work. A couple of inconvenienced households get fobbed off.  They have fitted a NRV on my property in the sewers, fitted blockage alarms, blamed each other for the issue, denied responsibility,  blamed wet wipes, the "once in 50 year storm", climate change and a host of other factors! 

I got told to email pictures to 7 people in different departments every time my drive flooded, then got asked to stop sending them as I was being a nuisance. Local MP, local Councillor,  town council, flood line, highways and local borough council.........

Now, the might do something but it joins the list and time isn't of the essence....