Which dedicated wide slabber?

Squaredy

6 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Well yes I think chainsaw slabber is the way to go.  The difficulty is knowing how they compare.  If they were cars I would simply take them all out for a test drive.  As it is, I can't even see them all running.  For the most part you have to place an order based on a few Youtube videos and tech specs.  Hence my question asking for experience of Arbtalkers who may know some of these machines.

Gav just spend a few bob setting this up in the last few weeks. Your only 30 minutes from me and most welcome to do some kind of deal and you could use mine down at your place.I am  up to 4 foot but only a new bar to go bigger. Been on to rob in the last week as it happens (chainsaw bars uk)  ?

Edited by topchippyles

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

I’d be seriously looking at fabricating something along the lines of the Logosol item which Andy put the link up to. The kit is probs well made but start putting the price of a saw etc etc ?. The set up  is not rocket science and the amount of different profiles and bearings/carriers out there in the marketplace makes most things viable nowadays. Would you be working alone or with help??. 
The double header set up would be a asset id say if it’s constantly gonna be pulling through big logs. 

Yeah thanks for that Johnsond, I appreciate your comments.  I do like fabricating things, but I have to be realistic about my time, as I am also fabricating a new drying shed at my yard, and a garden building at home. 

I do have a helper so two handed milling is an option.

8 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Gav just spend a few bob setting this up in the last few weeks. Your only 30 minutes from me and most welcome to do some kind of deal and you could use mine down at your place.I am  up to 4 foot but only a new bar to go bigger. Been on to rob in the last week as it happens (chainsaw bars uk)  ?

Les, thanks for the offer, but what is your setup?  What wonder have you created....?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Yeah thanks for that Johnsond, I appreciate your comments.  I do like fabricating things, but I have to be realistic about my time, as I am also fabricating a new drying shed at my yard, and a garden building at home. 

I do have a helper so two handed milling is an option.

The thing is in reality there is no off the shelf item that will tick all the boxes for all the people. Hence I’d be going the fabrication route. Even if it was as minimal a set up as a couple of Ali beams to run parallel and the corresponding sections to go across the ends,  ie pretty much the logosol item. But keep it ultra simple hdpe sliders etc will run fine. Go the for the standard Chinese option and get as much info as you can about the logosol item then copy and simplify to suit your own needs. Save a chunk of money and as Bill says invest in and run twin a headed set up. 
I know some times it’s hard when you are busy to fab this and that and then ending up getting bugger all done. 
Be interested you see what Les has come up with !! 
Alternatively  just run a big twin head panther set up from Rob ?‍♂️ “Simples”

• Like 2

thumbnail.jpg.8ebfbfbb8039dea55aee5c96ca15b5fd.jpgPicked up a logosol m7 off one of the lads off here and plan next week or two is to build a new loading platform around it to accommodate much larger logs.She will do 5.6m long and around 36" wide as it is. Effortless to setup and move as goes straight in my trailer and away i go. I am using my stihl 038 on it up to 24" which does it easily and handles my 36"GB ripping bar if i use the alaskan . Have got a stihl  ms 660 but not required using that on the m7 mill yet 

Custom grapple on my excavator 

thumbnail.jpg.2612a6844917a2979de68dab10f5b0a7.jpg

Edited by topchippyles

20 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Well yes I think chainsaw slabber is the way to go.  The difficulty is knowing how they compare.  If they were cars I would simply take them all out for a test drive.  As it is, I can't even see them all running.  For the most part you have to place an order based on a few Youtube videos and tech specs.  Hence my question asking for experience of Arbtalkers who may know some of these machines.

i believe the Copford sawmill has the WM1000 so it may be worth contacting them direct to see if it's worth all that money...

http://www.copfordsawmill.co.uk/

Well I have taken the plunge and today purchased a second hand Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber from another Arbtalker.  Thanks to @MikesMill for that.

It is generally sound condition, though with some alignement issues, but I think I can sort this out.

I will start off with some reasonable size logs - three foot diameter or so, and then soon mill my 6ft diameter Cedar of Lebanon, 5ft Plane etc.  I will post pics when there is something good to show!

I think my transit just limped home as the throttle is becoming unresponsive.  This may be the last time I need it so I guess that is good timing.

Large slabs here we come.....

IMG_3124.JPG

• Like 6