Which dedicated wide slabber?

Squaredy

9 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Well I have taken the plunge and today purchased a second hand Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber from another Arbtalker.  Thanks to @MikesMill for that.

It is generally sound condition, though with some alignement issues, but I think I can sort this out.

I will start off with some reasonable size logs - three foot diameter or so, and then soon mill my 6ft diameter Cedar of Lebanon, 5ft Plane etc.  I will post pics when there is something good to show!

I think my transit just limped home as the throttle is becoming unresponsive.  This may be the last time I need it so I guess that is good timing.

Large slabs here we come.....

IMG_3124.JPG

How wide will that mill gav ??

On 06/06/2020 at 17:00, Squaredy said:

I am looking to buy a dedicated wide slabber as soon as possible and would appreciate the benefit of experience and knowledge of fellow Arbtalkers.  I have just sold my Lucas Mill with the slabbing attachment, so I am aware of the capabilities of this (too slow for regular use on wide logs).  What I really need is to be able to compare the capabilities of the Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber, The Lucas Dedicated Slabber, and even possibly the Turbosaw Slabber which launched last year.  To my amazement there is even a Lucas Slabber which has a 9ft cut width!  I do not need that, but up to around 5ft would be good.

What is the difference between a Lucas dedicated slabber and the Lucas slabbing attachment.?

In these clips the Lucas at 4 minutes in  seems to be going about the same speed as the Peterson in the other video

With my slabbing attachment on the Lucas, I admit that the log is not very big but the electric winch seems to operate at much the same speed on a four foot wide log and it will take a five foot log though I have not had one of those yet!

I was under the impression that the dedicated slabber cut at much the same speed as the slabbing attachment, just with a slightly bigger Width of cut.
The advantage of the slabbing attachment is being able to switch to the circular blade and my favourite thing is my planer head for the lucas. Planes wide Slabs really easy and quick.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Billhook said:

What is the difference between a Lucas dedicated slabber and the Lucas slabbing attachment.?

In these clips the Lucas at 4 minutes in  seems to be going about the same speed as the Peterson in the other video

With my slabbing attachment on the Lucas, I admit that the log is not very big but the electric winch seems to operate at much the same speed on a four foot wide log and it will take a five foot log though I have not had one of those yet!

It is very difficult getting proper information about it isn't it?  What is needed is a comparison showing the two types on similar logs.

I am sure I read somewhere that the Lucas dedicated slabber powers the chain at a much higher speed as the gearing is set up for the chainsaw not for the circular saw.  In which case this would surely result in faster cutting?

11 hours ago, Squaredy said:

It is very difficult getting proper information about it isn't it?  What is needed is a comparison showing the two types on similar logs.

I am sure I read somewhere that the Lucas dedicated slabber powers the chain at a much higher speed as the gearing is set up for the chainsaw not for the circular saw.  In which case this would surely result in faster cutting?

This topic on the Forestry Forum is worth a read.  It seems that more power or more chain speed is not necessarily the answer, it is more about letting the guide bar find its own speed to give it time to clear the swarf.  A super skip chain may allow more speed but I only know about the system I have.

FORESTRYFORUM.COM

I'm about to start assembling a dedicated slabber, that will be operated by a 40HP electric motor. As I'm figuring out how to...

• Like 1

The issue will always be chip removal. Long drag on a 5ft log to eject it while the tooth is making more all the time too.
I've always been happy with the cutting speed of my lucas slabbing attachment on big logs. It is a bit slow on small logs but that is my fault for not using different chain.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First log milled earlier in the week with my Peterson.  To begin with the blade was diving but we adjusted it and got it cutting straight.

This batch was done without sharpening the chain and now I think a sharpen is needed.   

So far so good.

A62F11EB-BF9A-469F-8F7A-681330E67C35.jpeg

07C6A007-F892-47B6-BA17-2BBC564323D4.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...