Buying a used Arb chainsaw - swimming with the sharks?

little_p

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

Probably best to buy new. A seller will get a saw in some sort of condition and every time they fit a new part, it impacts on their profit so they will skimp on using OEM parts hence the use of Chinese parts on many of the saws I get in because they don't work too well9_9

Other than that, you need to purchase from a reputable seller that may not offer a real nice low price but will offer a saw that is HONEST rather than full of issues like so many on eBay.

Nothing in at the moment unless you want a vintage 80CC Husqvarna!

Tell more about the husky 

I love a old saw 

Thanks all for the replies. What I’m reading loud and clear is unless I can get a trusted used saw, I should be looking to buy new.

@Khriss I take your point that I am effectively getting a new one for 20% less.

All -

If I was to buy new, is there a well thought-of “hold their money” type of forestry chainsaw?

I have started to look at prices for a Stihl MS391 with a 20” blade.

Looking at the Stihl as we have a MS231 and a Kombi, which both seem to be reliable enough. It is 64cc which should be a bit more powerful that the Zenoah that we currently have a blade long enough to tackle some of the bigger stuff that we have on the farm.

It seems a good compromise between cost and performance?

• Like 1

I got a bargain 391 with 20” bar on gumtree about 3 years ago £275. Chain was mullered and sharpened to a very strange angle but with new chain, a good service, it hasn’t missed a beat. Not used every week admittedly but cracking saw. 
I took a chance and the seller was honest about its history but there are plenty of abused, knackered ones out there advertised as all good

• Like 2

Plus #2  yr a farmer, so bigger butts may be moved with yr loader to plug gate holes, so larger engines / long bars are an arse to carry all day. Ive broken down big trees to a moveable butt, with 16" to ( saws log 32" remember)  18" bars and the sharpening is easier which is what counts.  K

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, little_p said:

If I was to buy new, is there a well thought-of “hold their money” type of forestry chainsaw?

I have started to look at prices for a Stihl MS391 with a 20” blade.

If there is it's not going to be the MS391, that's a farmer, home user chainsaw. More forestry oriented would be something like a Stihl MS362 if you are going the Stihl route. Holding their money is not a very good reason to buy a saw once you cut with them they are used and anyone will only pay what they think it's worth, you don't have a verified service history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a farmer... I do nearly all the maintenance on the trees (we are tenants - some of this stuff is in our lease, other parts is just due to a good relationship with the laird and estate manager). 

I've no fears buying 2nd hand... but I stick to make/model I know well and have confidence working on. We have 4 ebay buys here - 3 work faultlessly (1 is a complete rebuild but I knew that before I bought it)... the 4th was bought as a donor saw and it laying in bits. But if I fell on with the parts it needs, I would rebuild it.

But you've got to like working on them and fixing them to go down that road... if you want one that just works, buy new.

As Harvey says, the Dolmar/Makita would be a great shout (lots of torque so great running big bars cutting firewood). I've no experience of the 6100 but I have a 6401 (and a 6800i  hance the name) and it's a beaut! They don't sell it anymore though so you'd have to step up to the 7301

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, peatff said:

If there is it's not going to be the MS391, that's a farmer, home user chainsaw. More forestry oriented would be something like a Stihl MS362 if you are going the Stihl route. Holding their money is not a very good reason to buy a saw once you cut with them they are used and anyone will only pay what they think it's worth, you don't have a verified service history.

Thanks all the continued responses.

The reason why I asked about a MS391 was that it was 64cc and was £507 + VAT (with a 20" bar) so seemed a good compromise between power and price.
A proper Forestry chainsaw is a £200 more and I don't think that I can justify spending that much more for the amount that it will be used.

What would be the main difference(s) between a MS391 and a MS362?

Maybe 'holding their money' wasn't the right term to use, I guess what I was asking for what chainsaws are 'well thought of'.
From the comments, it seems that the Makita / dolmar range and a Husky Ranchers come well recommended.