Building a Cabin

trigger_andy

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Love that! Looks Beautiful.

Im getting a load of Larch in when I get home. Getting the whole stand of it. Not sure how much is there yet. Its not old, but was planted just over 50 years ago. 

This Larch is 50 years old, just grades the best out for the frame, it was milled by another Arbtalker, just wear gloves when you mill/handle it or it will be death by a million hair like splinters.

• Like 1

Just now, The avantgardener said:

This Larch is 50 years old, just grades the best out for the frame, it was milled by another Arbtalker, just wear gloves when you mill/handle it or it will be death by a million hair like splinters.

Eeeek, thanks for the heads up. Big J had a good suggestion of running washing up liquid in the water tank to handle the sap.

Ive never worked with Larch, it really seems to have a lovely colour. I'll buy the whole stand and whats not Milling Grade will pass through the Stove. So no waste at all. 

I'm toying with the idea of using some oak in the design as well? Still have a few tons sitting and have more to mill in the summer. I know many think its a bad deal but someone has a bunch of Sticks and I said I'll take half of them and mill the other half for him. Some really nice slow growth Scottish Oak. We'll see.  

You should do your own reading on it, but you can have a caravan in your garden without any planning, and have someone living in it full time, hooked up to mains etc, so long as it's in connection with the main house ie a family member in it, not a tenant.

Shepard's hut on wheels, static caravan/park home/chalet would count as a caravan, so long as it could be moved easily

You should do your own reading on it, but you can have a caravan in your garden without any planning, and have someone living in it full time, hooked up to mains etc, so long as it's in connection with the main house ie a family member in it, not a tenant.

Shepard's hut on wheels, static caravan/park home/chalet would count as a caravan, so long as it could be moved easily

Yes, I am/will continue to do so. But the advice and ideas from the guys here leads me down paths I had not previously considered.

Good to know a caravan can be hooked up to utilities. I’ll dig into that a bit more.

Seems like my daughter is not that interested in the idea after all. :/ Bloody spoilt if you ask me. ? Wants a flat in whatever Uni Town she joins[emoji50]

So Summer House/Guest House it is.

42 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Eeeek, thanks for the heads up. Big J had a good suggestion of running washing up liquid in the water tank to handle the sap.

Ive never worked with Larch, it really seems to have a lovely colour. I'll buy the whole stand and whats not Milling Grade will pass through the Stove. So no waste at all. 

I'm toying with the idea of using some oak in the design as well? Still have a few tons sitting and have more to mill in the summer. I know many think its a bad deal but someone has a bunch of Sticks and I said I'll take half of them and mill the other half for him. Some really nice slow growth Scottish Oak. We'll see.  

My base frame is elevated on Oak legs for durability in the ground. I have no way of accessing the rear garden with a machine so the larger dimension timber in the frame would have been pretty problematic to lift in Oak, the Larch was easy.

I will clad the roof with ply and felt for now, but the plan is to finish it in cleft sweetchestnut shingles with a ridge made from one piece of sweetchestnut that I will encourage to cup by air drying uncovered ie too quickly.

The only build limitation in my area was a max height of 3m, mine is 30cm short of that.

Edited by The avantgardener

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

The main issue for me is the neighbor is a cock. So really I want to do this as simply as possible with out going down the paperwork route. Yes, its on the OS Maps/ Title Plan. 

Its just been a slab since Ive lived there though. 

InkedInkedCapture_LI.jpg

The thing is how long has the neighbour been there, he  may not know when it was taken down.

In England you can build a shed or outhouse under permitted development  and occupy it as a spare room as long as the facilities are in the house.

Before I filled my shed with junk I had a sofa bed in it and my mate with the narrow boat would stay in it when on business locally. Mind you'd be in trouble if the council thought it was being rented out.

50 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Seems like my daughter is not that interested in the idea after all. :/ Bloody spoilt if you ask me. ? Wants a flat in whatever Uni Town she joinsemoji50.png

Makes very good sense to buy a cheap place for while she's there.

• Like 1

Just now, openspaceman said:

The thing is how long has the neighbour been there, he  may not know when it was taken down.

Hes been there for 4 years and is quite astute.

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

In England you can build a shed or outhouse under permitted development  and occupy it as a spare room as long as the facilities are in the house.

Ah ok cool. I'll look into that for Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Makes very good sense to buy a cheap place for while she's there.

I guess so? Its so far removed from what I had growing up. Its hard to adjust. When I was 16 I was not even told or shown where the local bus route was.Now the kids seem to demand their own bloody flat and a car? Madness. 

Thanks for replying though. :) I appreciate it. 

I guess so? Its so far removed from what I had growing up. Its hard to adjust. When I was 16 I was not even told or shown where the local bus route was.Now the kids seem to demand their own bloody flat and a car? Madness. 

Thanks for replying though. [emoji4] I appreciate it. 
A bloke I used to work with on building sites bought a cheap terraced house for his daughter when she was at university, and let her rent the other bedrooms to her friends. That paid the mortgage so his daughter lived rent free, then he sold it for a profit when she left.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Hes been there for 4 years and is quite astute.

Ah ok cool. I'll look into that for Scotland. 

Thanks for replying though. :) I appreciate it. 

There are two on my place Andy both 70mm kit type affairs built long before I had the mill. If I was to do it again I’d defo go timber frame route with self milled beams and cladding etc. I’m pretty sure as long as you are not beyond the house frontage and a few other restrictions ie height etc you are gonna be totally fine. More so as historically there has been a structure on the site anyway. I’ve power to mine but not water, I’ve had one set up for my sons to stay in when they visited, no toilet but an en suite stream right next to it ?. Bollocks to the neighbour would be my attitude ?‍♂️. A nice little cabin in the woodland surrounding your place would be a cracking project. 

53084CE7-959B-4D7B-BDED-BC72AB0A989C.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 3