Log Splitter - Choice?

craigblues

Hi All,

I've had a search and found a few threads relating to this but not quite found the answer.

I'm looking at a log splitter, have been browsing the web, considered making my own (with some help) but come across the 20t meter long and 22t venom log splitter by Rock Machinery. Does anyone have either of these machines? £1500-£1900 on a trailer can be used horizontally or vertically. Downside is towing 45mph, but most likely own to be used around the home, or I'll push it onto another trailer to take to place I'll be splitting.

Admittedly it is more than I was considering but I very much prefer to buy something decent rather than moan about buying cheap and end up selling and buying something better.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly received.

7 minutes ago, youngsbury said:

Yep got 22T venom at work good bit of kit ! Modified the two hand operation to single and built side table on it and it’s all good. 

Fair enough. It goes with a work table on it already, I’m guessing you extended it. Yes my only concern is the ram seems quite slow from the video I saw but maybe that’s normal.

22 minutes ago, youngsbury said:

Forgot to mention it’s the v series of splitter so not technically road legal but only use it on the estate ! and never came with a table 

Oh okay! So it’s their “value” model. That definitely interesting as that’s also what I was trying to weigh up, if the extra £500 was worth it or not.

On 03/06/2020 at 18:22, craigblues said:

Hi All,

I've had a search and found a few threads relating to this but not quite found the answer.

I'm looking at a log splitter, have been browsing the web, considered making my own (with some help) but come across the 20t meter long and 22t venom log splitter by Rock Machinery. Does anyone have either of these machines? £1500-£1900 on a trailer can be used horizontally or vertically. Downside is towing 45mph, but most likely own to be used around the home, or I'll push it onto another trailer to take to place I'll be splitting.

Admittedly it is more than I was considering but I very much prefer to buy something decent rather than moan about buying cheap and end up selling and buying something better.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly received.

Ive just bought the 22t ES Spec Splitter. Its sitting in my garage but I'll be away another 3-4 weeks so will not get a chance to play with it till then. It was originally £2250, then £1850 and finally down to £1500. Mainly due to the excessive safety features the EU imposed on Splitter, or will be soon. but as we're not in the EU any longer we dont need to follow their retard laws any more. :D 

So the 22t ES can only split in the vertical, but this is easily overridden by removing the micro-switch. The two handled operation on this particular machine is one of the simplest to override. Drill a hole in the shaft on the left hand side of the machine 1" further up the shaft and pop a pin in to lock it out. Job done. 

Ask them to throw the 4 way Splitting head in for free and they will do. Its no longer stocked by them and they accept no come back on it if and when you kill it. Seems like folk have been using the 4 way on large rounds when its more suited to 13" and below. 

The £1500 includes delivery and I assume the tank is full of oil? Its really a cracking price considering its road tow. Yes only to 45mph but I think Ive read a bearing change and its good to 60mph. Which I'm sure it is anyway, I doubt I'll stick to 45mph when I lend it to mates etc. 

I too was gonna get the 20t meter one, but once I learned you can mill in the horizontal with the 22t I never spent much time looking at the 20t. It looks very unstable and you cant road tow it. 

Edited by trigger_andy

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ive just bought the 22t ES Spec Splitter. Its sitting in my garage but I'll be away another 3-4 weeks so will not get a chance to play with it till then. It was originally £2250, then £1850 and finally down to £1500. Mainly due to the excessive safety features the EU imposed on Splitter, or will be soon. but as we're not in the EU any longer we dont need to follow their retard laws any more. :D 

So the 22t ES can only split in the vertical, but this is easily overridden by removing the micro-switch. The two handled operation on this particular machine is one of the simplest to override. Drill a hole in the shaft on the left hand side of the machine 1" further up the shaft and pop a pin in to lock it out. Job done. 

Ask them to throw the 4 way Splitting head in for free and they will do. Its no longer stocked by them and they accept no come back on it if and when you kill it. Seems like folk have been using the 4 way on large rounds when its more suited to 13" and below. 

The £1500 includes delivery and I assume the tank is full of oil? Its really a cracking price considering its road tow. Yes only to 45mph but I think Ive read a bearing change and its good to 60mph. Which I'm sure it is anyway, I doubt I'll stick to 45mph when I lend it to mates etc. 

I too was gonna get the 20t meter one, but once I learned you can mill in the horizontal with the 22t I never spent much time looking at the 20t. It looks very unstable and you cant road tow it. 

Thanks Andy! Good to hear, I had looked at that one too. Lots of people rave about the 22t version “bomb proof” they say. You get the added features of some small indespension springs on the wheels, work table too. And I suppose 2T more pressure. Still unsure how accurate those figures are.

It is £1899 instead of £1500 though. Can’t decide if worth the extra.

• Like 1

Just now, craigblues said:

Thanks Andy! Good to hear, I had looked at that one too. Lots of people rave about the 22t version “bomb proof” they say. You get the added features of some small indespension springs on the wheels, work table too. And I suppose 2T more pressure. Still unsure how accurate those figures are.

It is £1899 instead of £1500 though. Can’t decide if worth the extra.

£1900 was more than I was willing to spend. The ES is a 22t, but £1500. Its virtually the same machine once you remove the micro-switch stopping the horizontal operation, as per the EU directive. The only thing missing from the ES is the table, but Ill fab my own one up.

WWW.ROCKMACHINERY.CO.UK

After many conversations with both customers and professionals we all agree that the venom 22ton is one of the...

• Like 2