Log Splitter - Choice?

craigblues

18 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

trigger_andy in response to you question "Why would you need to lift a log if milling in the Vertical?" I believe it was an EU requirement relating to regulations for wedge splitters which were brought in around 2017/2018, personally I can see the need for a log lift with 1m vertical splitters but not smaller vertical splitters ... some of the changes made sense to me but others didn't. 

I still dont get it. :D I can feel a Homer Simpson Doh! Moment coming. I'm clearly completely missing its function. 

When splitting in the vertical the log need not lift off the ground, just shuffle it onto the plate which is maybe 1-2cm thick with a taper/chamfer. Is this the 'lift' they are referring to? To drag the log onto the plate?

You cant split in the horizontal with this Splitter so clearly you're not lifting the log up for splitting in horizontal position? Or is this a mish-mash and its actually for lifting in the horizontal position, which with factory settings you cant split in anyway? :D

Edited by trigger_andy

trigger_andy you are quite right as you say "when splitting in the vertical the log need not lift off the ground, just shuffle it onto the plate" which I do most of the time or lift it on with tongs but to comply with EN609-1 vertical splitters (not sure about horizontal splitters) have to have a log lifting device, the arm of which can be lowered onto the ground allowing the length of wood to be rolled onto the log lifting arm which can be hydraulic or mechanical as with the 22T ES, as the cylinder rises this lifts the wood to be split into position onto the base plate, it makes senses with 1m lengths of wood which can be heavy/impossible to manually lift but with 60cm lengths this is generally not an issue but to comply with EN regulation the machine has to have a log lifting device as I understand it but doesn't need to be used - short logs ca 25 cm would have to be roll or shuffled on to base plate anyway as they would be below the lifting bracket when raised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vedhoggar said:

trigger_andy you are quite right as you say "when splitting in the vertical the log need not lift off the ground, just shuffle it onto the plate" which I do most of the time or lift it on with tongs but to comply with EN609-1 vertical splitters (not sure about horizontal splitters) have to have a log lifting device, the arm of which can be lowered onto the ground allowing the length of wood to be rolled onto the log lifting arm which can be hydraulic or mechanical as with the 22T ES, as the cylinder rises this lifts the wood to be split into position onto the base plate, it makes senses with 1m lengths of wood which can be heavy/impossible to manually lift but with 60cm lengths this is generally not an issue but to comply with EN regulation the machine has to have a log lifting device as I understand it but doesn't need to be used - short logs ca 25 cm would have to be roll or shuffled on to base plate anyway as they would be below the lifting bracket when raised.

OK cheers. :) Kinda makes sense now. :) I really need to see it in action to see its function. I'll be splitting logs around 40cm long but i have a bunch of 30cm beech rounds that my log bombs just wont touch and look forward to showing those buggers who's boss. :D 

I'll mainly be using mine for personal use but interested it making it earn its keep. If its not to personal how do you use it for commercial purposes? Ie do you rent out the Splitter on a day rate? Or rent out the splitter plus operator on a day rate? do you get much interest? What kinda day rates do you charge?

I was looking at splitters and settled on an ebay purchase from woodmanstore, a Black tools 18t splitter. It works in horizontal and vertical and is a good strong tool. I haven't found anything it will not tackle yet. If it doesn't split it minces the wood. My friend gave me a piece his home made splitter wouldn't touch to test it and it just cruised through it. There is a 2 way head with it but the wood gets trapped in it and has to be pushed out so I am looking at a modification. It is towable but they do a 22t model with suspension which would be nicer on the road.

Thanks! Love everyone builds little handles to operate the two handle feature.

Well fingers crossed mine is arriving tomorrow. Which is quicker than I thought so happy days! Then I’ll have to work out what’s needed on the micro switch and also to make it easy operation with one handle.

Have wondered if I should of got the metre cutting length version. But heavier, bigger so has its downsides.

Edited by craigblues

trigger_andy you asked if splitter is hired out with or without an operator. The Venom 22T splitter has not been hired out although another splitter has with operator. Don't push mobile splitter hire but if opportunity arises I make it known that a machine is available for hire with an operator - domestic work on the whole, particularly where access difficult for larger machine/tractor. A hire company would charge about £80/day to £160/week for a machine like the Venom 22T road tow plus VAT. As to what you would charge with operator, well that depends on what you want/what you need in relation to overheads as well as going rate in area. Depreciation/running costs then form part of operating costs when day/hourly rate calculated.

• Thanks 1