Sharpener and Sharpening Help Please

Witterings

Really?  well my 365 doesn't get much use so I've not had the time to screw it badly, but I've used the easy file on its oregon chain a few times and not noticed trouble yet....I'll b more vigilant.  husky do the easy files too, same things, licenced from pferd i believe. 

8 hours ago, neiln said:

So the fake might not have along life...we will find out in time whether the file comes out before the thing breaks or not.

the other test is of course, does it work?  well ..yes!  better than the stihl one!  I'll start be caveating, I only have this trouble with the 3/8P 2 in 1, the standard 3/8 and 5.2mm version works great on my bigger chains but wit hthe pm3 stuff i have 2 problems.  firstly the flt file never does anyhting more than kiss the raker, even on a chain that is right down and losing cutters.  I have put this down to a possibly over hardened arbtec/northernarbsupplies/pirhanna chain but wasn't convinced as even at the end of use on the chain both sets of guide rails would properly ride along the teeth either side of that one being sharpened.  The other problem, although the chain still seemed to cut ok, the round files seem as if set too high and I never got any hook to the cutter.  the cutter would go straight up to the working corner, or even backwards by the time the file was really worn.  The chinese fake has the flat file/raker problem BUT does seem to get a better shape on the cutters.

not perfect...this tooth still seems a bit straight up.

IMG_20200613_182902.jpg

You need to take the gullets out a bit or it will start to rub .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Also I would have taken a couple of strokes off the depth gauges by the time the cutters were filed back this far.

I assumed his " multi file " thingy would have done that , but yes.

11 hours ago, neiln said:

oh and chain is semi chisel obvs. I've no idea what the stihl 2in 1 wold do to a full chisel PM3, if such as thing exists.  i suspect semi chisel is more forgiving on the filing as the 'working corner' is....well...not a corner as such.

so in conclusion....mleh, the fake is cheap, it does a fair job I think, but if it breaks when it comes to getting that stuck file out then it works out expensive compared to the real thing.

Oh and please be gentle now as you critique my filing!  hahahaha!  the bigger stuff on the 365 looks better, honest!  one more photo, just because.

IMG_20200613_183446.jpg

Thats more like it mate ? K

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

You need to take the gullets out a bit or it will start to rub .

Dont you start getting involved with all this new fangled witchery Mr Stubby, tha knoes how to do it proper, like.  K

Appen

• Haha 1

Thank you khriss.  That's the finished chain in that photo, does seems better.  One thing I thought yesterday was maybe I've not had the file flat enough and have been filing up a bit.  Although if it were a technique thing I'd expect the big chain on the 365 to look equally odd and it doesn't.  However yesterday I was consiously trying too file down a little and it seemed to possibly give a better result.... Perhaps what I thought was flat was actually up, it and what feels like down is actually flat.  Anyway.. it cuts....I keep trying to get better....tips welcome!

I do need to take a flat file to the rakers though, and next time I'll freehand the gullets out too I think.