Sharpener and Sharpening Help Please

Witterings

I’ve found that If you don’t hit the ground and cutting clean wood then a new good quality Stihl chain will stay sharp and cut fast for at least 15hrs

You could also buy some spare chains and get a local tool shop to sharpen them in batches  

On 03/06/2020 at 17:10, Witterings said:

A few sharpening questions if anyone can help .... I really only use it for logging for a stove so not for doing commercial work.

Has anyone used the Stihl 2 in 1 copies like the link here and if so are they any good or am I wasting my money and better off getting the real deal

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Material: Made of plastic and grindstone, it is durable and anti-corrosive. Sharpen any chain quickly and easily, can make your saw chain more sharp, easy to use. Scientific design: the end...

Approximately how often do you sharpen the chain ... don't know if it can be measured in approximate hours or not and assuming I'm looking after it and avoiding things like cutting into the ground.

Roughly how many times would you sharpen a chain before replacing with a new one.

Help with any of the above would be appreciated even if it's just one of them!!

Have one yes it works ok used it other day! Esp even better when get for Free!

Chinese monkeys/bat chowers tried there It's real-fake items listing on flea bay but used Stihl pictures in listing and said Stihl! So when got asked if Stihl Branded item in pics? yes yes johnny it go long time.

Turned up and knew already was fake did not as described return got some waffle back then Refunded!

Saved me £15.Friends whacked them for loads.

Only marked 30deg though! But brushed teeth up ok files seem stuck but il find a way to extract if need to! middle raker one is same as the OE ones and slides out.

On 04/06/2020 at 11:04, Witterings said:

One other quick query, how do I know what file size for each chain (have 3 chainsaws and maybe a 4th soon), the file I have came with a Stihl saw I had nicked years agao and is 4mm, I found the spec for the pole saw and it said 4mm but where I was looking up the spec for my Echo and an old McCulloch whilst I could find number of links etc. and 3/8"s I couldn't seem to see what file size to use.

check on the lower/inside teeth should have a number like 21 =325/0.58 etc

On 04/06/2020 at 11:04, Witterings said:

One other quick query, how do I know what file size for each chain (have 3 chainsaws and maybe a 4th soon), the file I have came with a Stihl saw I had nicked years agao and is 4mm, I found the spec for the pole saw and it said 4mm but where I was looking up the spec for my Echo and an old McCulloch whilst I could find number of links etc. and 3/8"s I couldn't seem to see what file size to use.

Here

https://www.premiumsawchain.co.uk/pages/Chain_Identification/

Think I'm probably going to go for either the Pferd or maybe an original Stihl one ... does anybody know if they're exactly the same and take the exact same same size / fit replacement files etc. 

Also can you use generic chainsaw files or are they made specifically for them like say these ones

and if you buy the 4mm body can you just swap out the files and drop a 4.8mm one in or would you need a 2nd body that'd have holes a specific size???

Finding it interesting .... there's an awful lot to learn and take on board when you 1st start looking into it ? ?

The bodies are specific as well as the files, the guide bars are in different spacings to set the height of the files.

I just received a couple of the cheap copies today.  Not tried yet but look fine except as noted above the files are tight.  I can get the flat and one round out, suspect the other will come out with the aid of pliers.  Only other immediate difference, it isn't marked with the size like the stihl ones.

• Like 1

thought people might like to see more on the chinese fake 2in1 files and since my little ms180 needed a tickle on the chain anyway I grabbed it and tested the file as well as comparing it to the real stihl 3/8P 4.0mm 2 in 1.

construction method is identical, same various plastic bits moulded identically and popped together.  plastic feels slightly less robust maybe?  it feels ever so slightly lighter but not loads, it feels sturdy enough to do the job but perhaps if being slung around in a tool box it might suffer quicker than the stihl, but maybe not, not much in it. 

I did notice the guide rails are slightly thinner, and i noticed there is a larger gap between the flat file sides and the round file....maybe the flat file isn't as wide?  I just thought, i should see if the stihl flat file fits it. if its not the file then the spacing must be different but flat to round spacing doesn't matter so long as the height is right.  The round files look the same, again I should check if the stihl ones fit but they are the same length and shape and marked 4mm, the cut is slightly different with a twirl to it and feeling more agressive...but maybe my stihl files are losing their edge.  all these differences are small.  

IMG_20200613_182846.jpg

hope the photo is visible,  authentic stihl on the right.

as you can see, 1 round file is stuck.. and it IS stuck.  can't pull it out even with needle nose pliers, can't even twist it with vice grips...maybe when it's worn it might come out before the holder breaks but well, I'm not confident tbh.  and since i can't even twist it, one side of that file will never do any work...the other will wear fast.