60 tonnes of beech to split on a farm.

Samerek

100m3 / 60 tonnes of beech timber as pictured.

Timber is landlocked and for legal issues can not leave the farm in whole lenghts.

I am looking for:

1. advice on the most efficient method for cutting, splitting and stacking in the polytunnel nearby.

• Thought of cutting rings/ discs 25-30cm deep depending on the log diameter.
  • smallest diameter ones may go quickest with an axe.
  • Use petrol driven log splitter (if I can hire one) for the medium sized timber.
  • 15cm rings of the over 50cm diameter and an axe.
  • Load into 1m3 bags and stack next to walls to build a frame.
  • Loose logs in the centre of the polytunnel.
  • Use of a loader to move the produce

2. Or a contact to someone equipped/ willing to take this job on.

Girvan area, South Ayrshire. Scotland.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

I guess it depends on priorities.  You could do all of it with an axe and a chainsaw, that would be cheapest if you are not counting your man hours but it would take "a while".  If you are producing firewood for your own use then that might be acceptable but if you want it all done quickly clearly you need a lot of man power or, more likely, mechanical help but will cost you more cash.

8 minutes ago, longblackcoat said:

Will take forever with an axe - I’d hire a petrol splitter if you can get one for a reasonable price. Still be a week’s work though, maybe more.

Spoke about this offline with the poster and suggested working through it ringing up the oversize for a petrol splitter and segregating anything that would go through a processor to one side, hire a processor for a day or so to cover that stuff. You are right though there’s a few days graft for sure. 

• Like 1

If you're on a farm in do you have a tractor? Tractor hydraulic log splitters are more powerful and a lot cheaper than petrol powered, you might buy one for the cost of a week's hire of petrol one. Then you can have it as an ongoing project, I would guess a couple of weeks at least to get through that.

Does look like quite a bit of it would go through a processor, if you got someone in for a couple of days you'd be busy running the loader and it would make a huge dent in the pile.

17 hours ago, Samerek said:

100m3 / 60 tonnes of beech timber as pictured.

Timber is landlocked and for legal issues can not leave the farm in whole lenghts.

I am looking for:

1. advice on the most efficient method for cutting, splitting and stacking in the polytunnel nearby.

• Thought of cutting rings/ discs 25-30cm deep depending on the log diameter.
  • smallest diameter ones may go quickest with an axe.
  • Use petrol driven log splitter (if I can hire one) for the medium sized timber.
  • 15cm rings of the over 50cm diameter and an axe.
  • Load into 1m3 bags and stack next to walls to build a frame.
  • Loose logs in the centre of the polytunnel.
  • Use of a loader to move the produce

2. Or a contact to someone equipped/ willing to take this job on.

Girvan area, South Ayrshire. Scotland.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

hi semerek, you got room for a caravan for a week or so,have a 20t petrol splitter, and the usual kit,for a job like this.regards struie, im in the scottish borders.

I could process the stuff that fits in the processor & you / helper could ring up the rest to either put through the processors splitter chamber which is faster or on the hydraulic splitter for the difficult bits.

You would need a way of moving the lengths & the split logs mechanically or the labour costs would kill you.

13 hours ago, struie said:

hi semerek, you got room for a caravan for a week or so,have a 20t petrol splitter, and the usual kit,for a job like this.regards struie, im in the scottish borders.

hi semerek my number is, 07423142845.regards struie.