Maybe the UK should plant more....

14 minutes ago, Big J said:

I'm sick to the teeth of harvesting on ground that is second rate, stupidly steep or has terrible access. As such, we only plant on drivable, lower level, fully accessible sites. 

Yes i know where your coming from here, but unfortunatly when the UK started the big push just after the end of WW11 it was only land that was deemed as unfit for farming or food growth that was planted with softwoods, One site we have worked on for many years was planted in the late 40s early 50s and back then it was some 300 acers but now has been increased to 800 acers, there is some very steep slopes on this site with some being 60-70 degrees which is not good ground to work on, One guy who used to cut with us his uncle (now deceased) was involved with the creation of this site and was telling us one day that he ploughed it all with a ex army catterpillar and just winched his self and machine back up the hill after he had done a furrow down hill, this is something i can not see being done in this day and age, but it was done, we have worked on these bankins over the years and some are hard work to stand up on yet alone go up and down on with a tracked machine ploughing all day,

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

It's just a few acres of amenity woodland, not a plantation. But it does highlight many problems.

I'm not convinced pine martins are the answer to grey squirrels everywhere, they may well eat them but they also eat a lot of other mammals, birds, eggs etc. Also not sure how many decades it'll take to eradicate greys from places like Devon.

With regard to fire, even it wet Devon you do get extended dry periods where fire does become a worry when you're living on the edge of woodland. Not sure if Euc is any worse than gorse and pine though.

I'm seriously thinking of putting in a acre or so of Euc, just for our own firewood. Something to diversify away from the ash that's coming out elsewhere.

where in Devon is your woods ?   I have a few acres near Ashburton ......

2 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

where in Devon is your woods ?   I have a few acres near Ashburton ......

I own a few acres acres around our house which are on a fairly steep south slope and a few acres a couple of miles away that is fairly flat. Both to the NW of Holsworthy.

Both quite different although both are likely to need restocking with something after a fair bit of ash is removed.

Something I can get a harvest from within a decade is certainly appealing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I can speak to pine martens doing for greys. Not a one here, but some reds. And pots of voles and birds too. this clip might show our resident charmer:

https://maggs-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/p/ed/EeTEDnU_IK1MvcMhdCF1le0BoS4K2_tN6_9ZG_EHYinnYw?e=WOwDfb

I had a polecat/ferret cross that looked a bit like him .

• Like 1

Alot of species to choose from called rosewood so which one for UK climate?

List of rosewoods

From Dalbergia species

Other than Dalbergia species

French could  grow it  ( in   French Guiana. )

They own more  forest area over there that whole of UK forestry.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stere said:

Alot of species to choose from called rosewood so which one for UK climate?

French could  grow it  ( in   French Guiana. )

They own more  forest area over there that whole of UK forestry.

Believe most of it came from Hondura up until about  mid 19thc .one example here ,

I’ve seen it for sale around £4 a foot for bigger diameter logs but international trade not allowed . Seems as though in uk a decent board would sell for about double the cost of walnut if anyone could find it

C420A92B-186F-457A-A7DC-8D997AD09494.jpeg

Edited by Jack.P

Went out for a walk in a FC eucalyptus test plantations in keilder forest this afternoon , interesting lines of eucalyptus all named and numbered but mostly just the rotting trunks of semi mature trees present, they looked like they achieved about 30ft then died in most of the blocks but visibly out of a lot I’m guessing only 3 types survived , unfortunately the tags for these survivors have long rotted away so would be hard to ID , I guess E gunnii does not do to well as those lines where all dead ! To be honest it looks like eucalyptus plantations would be a waste of time in the north. IMG_3881.jpgIMG_3880.jpgIMG_3888.jpg
I’m sure there are more but the Sitka is that fast growing I can’t find the last test plots I discovered 4-5 years back ! It also made me think walking back through that aspen, alder and birch are not far off the growth rate of Sitka in some patches and these are what I would choose over eucalyptus , they are far more fitting with our environment and climate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1