Some advice on tracked chippers?

The dogwalker

So, I plan on buing a tracked chipper in about a year but I like to plan ahead so here comes some questions that I did´nt find the answers to on the forum.

I´m currently looking at Timberwolf 190/230 or Jensen 540 and fairly new, maybe 2-3 years old but since I never owned a chipper of that kind before it would be nice to know for example, where do you draw the line between low hours and "problems starts here"-hours?

Are there modells of the above who is prefered over other models of the same chipper?

Are there any specific years that should be avoided?

Pretty sure you won't be finding a TW190 at 2-3 years old, they stopped producing them a while ago.

You'll get a lot of personal preferences/opinions on the rest of the answers you seek.

My opinions, A low houred 45?hp 190 would be my preference over a 37hp 230. The 540 comes as standard with a 37hp motor, look out for the 50hp if possible. id be looking away from TW at over 800ish hours, Jensen 1500, Depending on previous life of course.

Ive a 50hp 540 in Uppsala You're welcome to look at if you're near by anytime. 

Chose Jensen over TW for Jensens longevity, (my last had 1800h, used others with 3500+) Hydraulic winch rather than electric, retractable tracks (which wasn't an option on the 280TW).

But in Sweden TW have the biggest market share, presumably backup too.

35 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Pretty sure you won't be finding a TW190 at 2-3 years old, they stopped producing them a while ago.

You'll get a lot of personal preferences/opinions on the rest of the answers you seek.

My opinions, A low houred 45?hp 190 would be my preference over a 37hp 230. The 540 comes as standard with a 37hp motor, look out for the 50hp if possible. id be looking away from TW at over 800ish hours, Jensen 1500, Depending on previous life of course.

Ive a 50hp 540 in Uppsala You're welcome to look at if you're near by anytime. 

Chose Jensen over TW for Jensens longevity, (my last had 1800h, used others with 3500+) Hydraulic winch rather than electric, retractable tracks (which wasn't an option on the 280TW).

But in Sweden TW have the biggest market share, presumably backup too.

About the 190, I forgot to ask when it went End Of Sales. Or ”How new will I find?”

Thanks for the offer on having a look at your chipper. I’ll be in touch if I drive in your direction. 

I'd be on a tw190 or a Jensen a540. Would t have another tw230.

Least with a 190 it's easy to refurb chip chamber. The bottom of chip chamber on a Jensen is HYD tank which the metal wears and you can get HYD oil in chip chamber at high hours 2000 plus

I've seen both with big hours on though. 

Jensen feed rollers be bigger diameter opening I think whereas the tw190 is square.

I was on a site a few years back and working with my Jensen a530 and another team with a tw190 and us and the Jensen out performed the other team all day

My choice of chipper would hinge on distance from the nearest decent spares stockist, for us its Timberwolf/Rayco only because we can throw stones at Greenplant from here. Over many years they have provided an excellent service and I dont think I would swap brands unless they did.

Bob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The dogwalker said:

About the 190, I forgot to ask when it went End Of Sales. Or ”How new will I find?”

Thanks for the offer on having a look at your chipper. I’ll be in touch if I drive in your direction. 

Give me a ring when you are ready to buy next year. My machine will be 2 years old and you never know, i may be looking to replace/upgrade.

• Like 1

I have had a Jensen 540 for 5 years now (turntable roadtow not tracked). It is a fantastic solid machine with excellent ability at crushing forks and pulling material through. Never had the discharge spout block either. Only problem I have had was getting a new main brake cable - took ages to come from Germany and then it was the wrong one, so got one made up locally.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2020 at 19:14, aspenarb said:

My choice of chipper would hinge on distance from the nearest decent spares stockist, for us its Timberwolf/Rayco only because we can throw stones at Greenplant from here. Over many years they have provided an excellent service and I dont think I would swap brands unless they did.

Bob

You have a really good point there. My problem is, there is no dealers within at least 2-3 hours drive so whatever spares I need, they will have to be shipped in some way.