Petrol strimmer: maintenance?

coppicer

I have been running a Handy Pro THPK35CH strimmer, which uses a Kawasaki TJ35e two-stroke petrol engine, for 6-7 years. The engine's been reliable, I've never had any real problems starting it, and it's powerful enough to take a heavy cord or even a mulching head. The primer bulb has just developed a pinhole, so I'm non-urgently looking for a replacement. It's part number 49043-2067 and a few places seem to stock it in the UK.

This has (rather belatedly) got me thinking about maintenance, such as lubrication. I looked at it when I first bought it and if I remember correctly there weren't any obvious grease nipples, and the strimmer head seemed to be sealed. Should I be giving it some TLC, and if so what, or will it just soldier on until it dies?

Dan

20200602_151709-25%.jpg

20200602_151749-25%.jpg

Edited by coppicer

I have an old Zenoah strimmer and is identical to the Kawasaki engine ones, they are strong bits of kit with the only issue a coil going,  it is probably 20 years old and an earlier generation to yours.

If the gearbox is sealed then not much you can do. Engine wise, new fuel filter, spark plug and make sure the fuel lines are flexible and not degraded/split. Clean the air filter and replace as necessary.

Worth looking at the clutch and drum if you are that way inclined but probably safe to leave unless the head is spinning all the time. 

The primer bulbs can go so a new carb kit and primer bulb wont harm. Make sure the carb is tuned correctly and.......enjoy!

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, coppicer said:

I have been running a Handy Pro THPK35CH strimmer, which uses a Kawasaki TJ35e two-stroke petrol engine, for 6-7 years. The engine's been reliable, I've never had any real problems starting it, and it's powerful enough to take a heavy cord or even a mulching head. The primer bulb has just developed a pinhole, so I'm non-urgently looking for a replacement. It's part number 49043-2067 and a few places seem to stock it in the UK.

This has (rather belatedly) got me thinking about maintenance, such as lubrication. I looked at it when I first bought it and if I remember correctly there weren't any obvious grease nipples, and the strimmer head seemed to be sealed. Should I be giving it some TLC, and if so what, or will it just soldier on until it dies?

Dan

20200602_151709-25%.jpg

20200602_151749-25%.jpg

Have a look on ebay for primer bulbs, usually 2 different sizes and something daft like 10 for 99p with free delivery!

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody for the comments. I have:

- Visited the Danarm website and found parts diagrams

- Sourced some primer bulbs from eBay

- Realised that what I thought was the screw attaching the head to the shaft is actually a lubrication port ? so will open in and pack will high-temperature grease later

Onwards and upwards!

• Sad 1