mapping tree locations

stihllearning

moved onto terrains so got involved in DEM’s (3d terrain maps), I have also been using GPS for years as well as digital mapping for my logistics work as is away from the public road in remote places etc, as well as the usual parallel swathing & area worked etc. :)

I have done a lot of terrain modeling, for various projects, as well as using infra-red imagery for doing land cover classification. I find in really interesting stuff (and pays v. well) but was getting to a point where it was all i was doing in my job (and as an eployee i was getting very little pay for it) so now i do freelance stuff where i can.

what softwear were you using for parallel swath work something like the patchwork system?

im intregued by the logisitics work in remote places? what kind of work was this? i was involved in helping map points for helicopters to drop restoration materials in the peak district. I have also been working on a system (just needed the budget) for high accuracy and speed GPS linked into a field GIS system running helicopter mounted spreader and sprayers through the new ISObus terminal that tractor manufatures are starting to use. This is mainly as if a pilot is not concentrating on the map and is 2seconds late turning of the sprayer, and hes hydroseeding smoked heather (at £200/kg) then it doesnt take long to have wasted a lot of money!

Yes it is all very interesting, you can see a lot that you wouldn’t see when on the ground or things you wouldn’t see when in the air ;)

Most of the time for parallel swathing its what’s built into the tractors I get to drive now and then, auto-steer is far more common on new tractors and its surprising how many farmer have RTK base stations for precision work at <5cm CEP for year on year repeatable work and how many others have sub <50cm CEP for basic non precision guidance or for light-bar’s guidance and spot rates, my self I normally use a laptop or PDA depending on what I need, most of the time its just area worked like acres per hour vs. fuel use or other things for costing, efficiency or proof or just finding a field!

The logistics in remote places is normally transporting something some ware to a specific location well beyond were you would get a tractor & trailer or a site dumper etc &/or were there is distance to cover repeatedly I.e. you cannot operate site dumper on slopes steeper than 1:4 (~<14deg or <25%) (HSE regulation but ALWAYS less if manufacture states so!) tractor & trailers are limited by there total weight and lack of driven wheels leading to ground damage & lack of gradeability and the need of a much bigger space to turn witch often isn’t there, so with my Unimog I can carry up to 4000kg or about ~3500kg of stone and do less ground damage doing 3 journeys than tractor & trailer doing 1 journey or comparative site dumpers moving the same total amount over 3 journeys due to the much larger Unimog tyre size & capacity to run at much lower pressure for weight (lower ground pressure)

It sounds like an interesting project for a helicopter though I doubt you need quite as high lateral precision as a farmer so a good quality L1 with SBAS or a beacon receiver would be good for ~2m CEP as windage would be more than a vehicle mounted sprayer but you would need 10hz PPS, also would it not be better for a pilot to have a light-bar-guide mounted in his forward FOV for swath in’s & out’s then a map just out of the FOV for glancing at other info/maping, I would have though that something like one of the Trimble basic agriGPS units with a light bar with a separate LCD touch screen VGA & hard mounted laptop & GPS auto shutoff unit, I think Derek at www.precise-solutions.co.uk is one of the few that deal in Trimble agriGPS in the UK.

Mark

It sounds like an interesting project for a helicopter though I doubt you need quite as high lateral precision as a farmer so a good quality L1 with SBAS or a beacon receiver would be good for ~2m CEP as windage would be more than a vehicle mounted sprayer but you would need 10hz PPS, also would it not be better for a pilot to have a light-bar-guide mounted in his forward FOV for swath in’s & out’s then a map just out of the FOV for glancing at other info/maping, I would have though that something like one of the Trimble basic agriGPS units with a light bar with a separate LCD touch screen VGA & hard mounted laptop & GPS auto shutoff unit, I think Derek at www.precise-solutions.co.uk is one of the few that deal in Trimble agriGPS in the UK.

Mark

The trimble ag gps systems i have been involved in leave a lot to be desired! especially aerial systems, light bar is essential for the pilot, but its just the ability for them to see visually where they are heading to next, as some of the work is only single swath pass (hence why with a map they can see where they need to fly and the isobus should just flick the sprayer on and off)

i had been looking at a system with omnistar and a 10hz receiver, but the kit is so different when you have aerial applications!

onmistar have a system on a chopper in germany that flys along the gas pipelines, and has a sensor mounted to the underside that the gps controls so the sensor is always pointing at the pipeline monitoring if there is any leaks, so if the helicopter tilts to turn the sensor will move so its still aligned with the pipeline, proper impressive kit, if you have about £120k for the sensor and gps kit alone!

I wander if the rotor head speed may be causing problems with a 10hz GPS units? As a rotor head speed will be approximately 600rpm witch is 10hz and multiples of blades will be multiples of ~10hz? Also as the rotor head RPM speed rises and falls as load/collective/throttle is applied the signal strobeing effect of the blades will move left and right of the GPS unit perhaps causing lateral drift and inaccuracy?